Iowa Zone 6

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Re: Iowa Zone 6

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:34 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Haus86 wrote:What size of buck are you looking for James?

I'd like a NET Booner... willing to travel ;)

Me too! Me too! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:shhh: PM me! :lol:

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm

JohnnieU wrote:I hunted zone 5 in '13, Centerville area so there were guys hunting Rathburn staying at the same motel. Some were really good guys and we talked to them daily. They shot deer, but nothing that would go 140. Plus, the locals we spoke with said EHD did some damage in that area too. Rathburn is a big piece of public for Iowa, but it's no secret and based on talking to the hunters that were on Rathburn every day the area receives a lot of pressure (for Iowa) from nonresident hunters. Plus, it took 4 years to draw the zone 5 tag. I've never hunted zone 6, but if you're planning to hunt public it might be a better option than Rathburn area in zone 5. Good luck regardless of where you decide to go.

The areas in zone 6 are quite simple: Eldon, Soap Creek, Keosauqua, Lick Creek, Donnelson. There are handfuls of other very small parcels but the distances would make it difficult to justify exploring a <80 acre chunk. Nothing beats boots on the ground, and I plan on sinking plenty of time in. However, with technology and available information it only makes sense to narrow things down.

I am prone to stear clear of Lee and Des Moines counties within zone 6 as there are several celebrity hunters with properties in those areas. I would surmise that attracts more pressure on the surrounding public, but I could be wrong. Van Buren and especially Davis feel much more rural. Getting a motel in Davis county seems like a challenge! I like that.

My ideal scenario would be to secure permission on even a small parcel where I am the only person bowhunting. I like my odds a lot better in a focused area where I can control pressure, but I can't count on that happening.

Winke's crew hunted the public land in zone 5 pretty hard from what they conveyed on their videos this year. Overall I wasn't all that impressed with the caliber of bucks they were seeing, but they definitely had a few great encounters on public land. I am going from memory but of the duo that exclusively hunted public they went 1 for 2 and the buck they harvested wouldn't touch 140". I got the impression that EHD hit zone 5 hard enough that the mature buck numbers haven't rebounded enough yet.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:50 pm

I got the impression that EHD hit zone 5 hard enough that the mature buck numbers haven't rebounded enough yet.

I was in zone 5 this year, and there was plenty of deer where I was. Some big ones too.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Spysar wrote:
I got the impression that EHD hit zone 5 hard enough that the mature buck numbers haven't rebounded enough yet.

I was in zone 5 this year, and there was plenty of deer where I was. Some big ones too.

Did you draw with 3 points or more? Zone 5 was my first choice but after looking at the odds of drawing from the 2014 season it did not seem like a shoe in with 3.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:01 pm

It took three points. In 2005 I was drawn for zone 5 with one point! :shock:

In 2010 I saved up 4 points so I could properly plan a trip, knowing I'd get the tag before the draw came out.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Spysar wrote:It took three points. In 2005 I was drawn for zone 5 with one point! :shock:

In 2010 I saved up 4 points so I could properly plan before the draw came out.

Right, that is why I was planning on Zone 6. I would hate to do a ton of homework in 5 only to not get drawn there with 3 points. I guess the homework would apply to 2016, but that is too far off.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:06 pm

It's been many years, but I would do 9 just for logistics.
And the record books smile pretty brightly on Allamackee and Winisheik (sp) Counties!!

And it's Beautiful country!
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I too plan on hunting iowa this yr or next. I hunted in 11 in zone 8. Awesome hunting, just not the caliber of deer I was looking for. This time round I have narrowed it down to zone 5 or 9. I'm torn by 9 being close and being able to make multiple trips vs 5 which I hear great things about. 5 would have to be just for a week hunt. 9 I've heard is on steep decline. Decisions,decisions...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:59 pm

James wrote:
JohnnieU wrote:I hunted zone 5 in '13, Centerville area so there were guys hunting Rathburn staying at the same motel. Some were really good guys and we talked to them daily. They shot deer, but nothing that would go 140. Plus, the locals we spoke with said EHD did some damage in that area too. Rathburn is a big piece of public for Iowa, but it's no secret and based on talking to the hunters that were on Rathburn every day the area receives a lot of pressure (for Iowa) from nonresident hunters. Plus, it took 4 years to draw the zone 5 tag. I've never hunted zone 6, but if you're planning to hunt public it might be a better option than Rathburn area in zone 5. Good luck regardless of where you decide to go.

The areas in zone 6 are quite simple: Eldon, Soap Creek, Keosauqua, Lick Creek, Donnelson. There are handfuls of other very small parcels but the distances would make it difficult to justify exploring a <80 acre chunk. Nothing beats boots on the ground, and I plan on sinking plenty of time in. However, with technology and available information it only makes sense to narrow things down.

I am prone to stear clear of Lee and Des Moines counties within zone 6 as there are several celebrity hunters with properties in those areas. I would surmise that attracts more pressure on the surrounding public, but I could be wrong. Van Buren and especially Davis feel much more rural. Getting a motel in Davis county seems like a challenge! I like that.

My ideal scenario would be to secure permission on even a small parcel where I am the only person bowhunting. I like my odds a lot better in a focused area where I can control pressure, but I can't count on that happening.

Winke's crew hunted the public land in zone 5 pretty hard from what they conveyed on their videos this year. Overall I wasn't all that impressed with the caliber of bucks they were seeing, but they definitely had a few great encounters on public land. I am going from memory but of the duo that exclusively hunted public they went 1 for 2 and the buck they harvested wouldn't touch 140". I got the impression that EHD hit zone 5 hard enough that the mature buck numbers haven't rebounded enough yet.

The deer numbers were down compared to when I hunted there in '09, but plenty of mature bucks still in zone 5; at least on the private ground I was hunting.

If Davis county is zone 6 and you can get permission that would be a great option. The game warden in Appanoose told us the pressure in Davis is far less than Appanoose and Monroe. But that its pretty much all private land and tough to find a spot. One note, Ottumwa is the biggest city in the area and only 20-25 minutes or so north of Bloomfield.

Winke's farm is between Albia and Centerville; I'm guessing his crew hunts the public pieces in that same area putting them on the pieces near Rathburn. There are some smaller pieces closer to Albia that as locals they would have time to check out.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 pm

JohnnieU wrote:
James wrote:

The deer numbers were down compared to when I hunted there in '09, but plenty of mature bucks still in zone 5; at least on the private ground I was hunting.

If Davis county is zone 6 and you can get permission that would be a great option. The game warden in Appanoose told us the pressure in Davis is far less than Appanoose and Monroe. But that its pretty much all private land and tough to find a spot. One note, Ottumwa is the biggest city in the area and only 20-25 minutes or so north of Bloomfield.

Winke's farm is between Albia and Centerville; I'm guessing his crew hunts the public pieces in that same area putting them on the pieces near Rathburn. There are some smaller pieces closer to Albia that as locals they would have time to check out.

Davis is a split county with half in 5 and half in 6. The half I am looking at has decent looking public, so at least there are some options if private access does not work out.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:44 am

I have 3 points and was planning on going this year and hunting state land in Zone 5. My brothers and friends who are also going are hunting a private farm in Moulton but i don't have the money to hunt the private land so we were all going to stay in Centerville and i was going to try hunting the Stephens State forest in Unionville. Anybody ever hunt that piece of state land before? Looks pretty good from the maps i have been looking at but really don't know how much pressure it gets or if its worth looking into a different piece of state ground in the same area. Coming from NY 18 hours away and dont want to spend the time and money to go all the way out there and find out the place i am hunting is overun with hunters or it has been hit hard by EHD. Any help on that area would be greatly appreciated.

John
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:28 am

mbucks27 wrote:I have 3 points and was planning on going this year and hunting state land in Zone 5. My brothers and friends who are also going are hunting a private farm in Moulton but i don't have the money to hunt the private land so we were all going to stay in Centerville and i was going to try hunting the Stephens State forest in Unionville. Anybody ever hunt that piece of state land before? Looks pretty good from the maps i have been looking at but really don't know how much pressure it gets or if its worth looking into a different piece of state ground in the same area. Coming from NY 18 hours away and dont want to spend the time and money to go all the way out there and find out the place i am hunting is overun with hunters or it has been hit hard by EHD. Any help on that area would be greatly appreciated.

John

I looked at Stephens as well. The problem with Zone 5 is that it did not look like 3 points would be a slam dunk in 2015. Zone 5 currently has 205 people that did not draw in 2013 that have 3 points in 2015 (people that applied in that unit in 2014). I think the odds are very high that you still draw, but just something I have been considering. Zone 5 was my top choice before taking a look at the draw statistics a little closer.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 am

It was my understanding that once i had 3 points i was guaranteed a NR tag. I'm not sure im going to make the trip now anyway but my brother and friends are still planning on going and they all have 3 points as well.

John
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 am

mbucks27 wrote:It was my understanding that once i had 3 points i was guaranteed a NR tag. I'm not sure im going to make the trip now anyway but my brother and friends are still planning on going and they all have 3 points as well.

John

Are you all applying as a group, or each as a single?

3 points doesn't mean any guarantee. If you apply as a group either you all go, or nobody goes. If you apply as singles, chances are someone in the group won't get selected.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:00 am

We were going to apply as a group. Trip as of now is all screwed up b/c im buying a house this year and need the money for that but my brother and my friend right now are def 100% in. If i do go like i said i will be hunting Stephens state forest looks like a lot of small parcels spread out. Have only seen if from topo maps and aerial photos but it looks like it has some great pieces.

John

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”