bedding with does?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

bedding with does?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:59 pm

ive always been under the assumption that mature bucks typically bed alone...

i dont know why ive assumed that...

i know when we push deer its kinda odd to actually find mature bucks with does or other deer...seems they are always alone...and if we move a mature buck it doesnt wanna stay with other deer very long...

my flintlock buck from this year did just that...i cant say for sure if he was with the does or not when my buddies moved him...but the does came right to me...he was 15 seconds behind them and didnt take the same trail as they did...

so....the reason for this post...

a couple days ago...i was on my buddies farm and looked down across the pasture to a tiny woodlot...once in a while i will catch a couple does bedding there..i spotted a deer immediately..and could tell just by looking it wasnt a doe...

hit it with the binocs and it was in the 115-130" class...looked like about a 18" 8 or possibly 10pt with decent tines..lacking in the mass a bit...probably a 3.5yo which is a good buck for our woods...he was bedded in typical fashion...on a point..wind to his back..wide open in front of him..pretty thick behind him...cant say for sure but i think the elevation was lower than the top 1/3rd..but it was COLD and windy and he had a bit of sunshine on him and was probably happy to be out of the wind...

kept scanning and found he was laying with 2 does...does were in a circle fashion around him...

so now i question...is there any consensus on mature bucks bedding?

i cant say for sure that is where he always beds or normally beds...but..i have a hunch he survived rifle season by bedding there....without snow we cant see deer laying there and we never push it...and i know no one else goes in there...just "no reason to" as its a tiny patch...he also has a heck of a vantage on the neighbors heavily hunted farm and their ATV trails...

it caught my interest....finding a good buck bedded always does...

Master Chief

Re: bedding with does?

Unread postby Master Chief » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Mature bucks are going to bed where they feel safe. Does are going to bed where they feel safe. Young bucks are going to bed where they feel safe. Mature bucks aren't afraid of other deer. They also don't tell other deer they don't have permission to bed in his "bedroom"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:47 am

Mature bucks do typically bed alone... But I do occasionally see them with other deer. And often see does bedded close, but not really with him... Most of the time when I see a doe bedded with a buck its either some phase of rut, or its after rut in there late season when there are few areas that are safe and still have good cover putting them all in the same patch..

Does by nature are group animals, who protect the family group by numbers of eyes and noses. Bucks are solitary animals that just worry about themselves. Other deer fear, or should I say "respect" the mature bucks. A SMALLER BUCK OR A DOE WILL OFTEN LEAVE A BEDDING AREA WHEN THE MORE DOMINANT ANIMAL ARRIVES. I have watched this unfold many times...

Often in winter monthes the mature bucks care more about food and survival than dominance and you see more group interaction... Then thru the summer the bucks actually seek out groups of friends to hang with until fall when they become solitary again...

What does all this matter? Well, we hunt in fall for the most part, so we should concentrate on hunting a solitary animal rather than hunting mass sign of lots of deer. If they happen to converge, so be it, but hunt the buck where he is, and not the heavy deer sign.

As far as your buck bedding on the point, you might be right, sounds like a great spot for a mature buck to hide outside the pressure. That sure don't mean that you won't see does there or nearby though.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:34 am

Thanx guys!

Dan that makes perfect sense! Thanx for explaining that!

He's lucky it wasn't rifle season and I had my tag! Was within 200yds of him...

Can't wait to see him next year! He will be a stud...if he gets a little mass and time length he will be an awesome buck..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:10 am

Thanks for sharing and GL with him.

Maybe you will be able to get his sheds. 8-)
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:21 am

Once rut is over and the urge is gone so is the food...
Deers yards are common places to see many deer together including mature shed bucks.
I've seen bedding with tracks and beds that ooze big bucks this time of the year with many other smaller deer (sign) on numerous occasions...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Interesting enough, for the past 14 days I've been watching a bachelor group of 4 bucks (all mature 3.5 - 5.5 y/o) and 7 does on public land. Every morning they all head from the south end of a 500 acre cut bean field to the north side of the field and bed on a south facing sloop @ 7:00 sharp. The does are always in front of the bucks by about 100 yards and bed down first, then the bucks follow the same path and bed about 20-30 yards from them. The dominate buck is a giant and is impossible to get during the late season. But haven't regretted a minute following this deer, Ive got one week left to catch him making a mistake or I'm gonna try to seal the deal next year early season with the new intel. But this is the first time I've noticed mature bucks bedding with does, so its possible.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:35 am

I agree most of the time bucks bed by themselves....but that's only most of the time. I can't say I've seen a buck bed right next to does unless its in estrus but never say never...I have often seen them 50 yards apart or so.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:54 am

Thanx guys! Always appreciate hearing different observations and such...I know nothing is set in stone...

Heading out after work to do some scouting up around where I work again...will see what I can find! Reminds me I gotta charge the GPS batteries before I head out!

I am enjoying scouting new land...I wanted to get my trailcam down yesterday to put up here but didn't get to it...won't be the last time I have to stay up here due to weather...so I will get it next time! I have a 70 some mile commute and when winter weather is coming I crash on my cot at work..and go take a walk till dark...scouting today is what kills deer next season...and its awesome...no one in the woods..good snow..we'll see what I can find!

mauser06
500 Club

Re: bedding with does? update!

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 pm

My buddies were flintlock hunting today...

They jumped him from nearly the same spot..one buddy missed him and he ran the same route...got across the road...15yds from another buddy...he stops and my buddy fired...

3 and a half hours later they didn't get him killed...blood...but hardly...sounds superficial...

I tell them everyyyy single year if they don't see it fall and don't know 100% to head for the trucks and we'll find it dead the next day...

"We have guns we'll surround it". Doesn't always work...especially flintlock hunting and a big buck...

My buddy swears its 160" class...I looked at it through binocs for 5 minutes and I saw 130" or so...either way I'm sick...hopefully he makes it....

They are going back tomorrow but he already went a good mile or so..my one buddy said he runs fine and jumps the biggest tree tops around...doesn't bleed when he runs...beds have a small amount and small drops every 5-10yds when he walks of good clean bright red blood...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”