Hello. Need some camping advise

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Hello. Need some camping advise

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 am

look into a hammock you can hang

they work great

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:57 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:look into a hammock you can hang

they work great

Agree!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
elknturkey

Unread postby elknturkey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:19 am

JoeRE wrote:A couple of my spots are close to 2 miles in from my only access. I feel your pain. Once I jogged most of the way in to one, can be done if you are in decent shape, but hunting boots are not great jogging footwear and its really tough to dress light enough not to sweat but pack in enough clothes to stay warm on stand. It cut a 60 minute walk down to under 30 minutes but didn't seem worth it.

I assume it is too rough to mountain bike part of the distance, that would speed things up.

I have not backpacked for whitetails but have done it twice for elk with pretty good success...still a novice but learning. Its really not that hard to do and I would take packing in a 50 lb backpack over dragging some kind of cart 3 miles every day of the week. You need good gear and a nearby source of water. Since you elk hunt just do some research on what gear you would need. For a week long hunt your pack will be around that 50 lb mark but the good news is deer hunting is a whole lot less strenuous than mountain elk hunting...after that initial pack in anyway.

If you don't have good backpacking gear expect to spend close to $1000 getting set up with good tent, pack frame, water filter, sleeping bag & pad, cook stove, rain gear etc but all of that stuff you can use for years and years.

Can use a buggy part of the way but I'm look you and would rather pack. Depending on where I go it's between a 1200-1400 ft elevation gain so could only imagine pulling a buggy. Hammock does sound nice and cozy :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
woods89

Unread postby woods89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:39 am

x3 on packing over a cart or sled.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:32 pm

You may as well add a climbing stand (or lock on and sticks) and safety harness to your packing list. So instead of a 50lb pack, you are looking at 75lbs. I have done that, but, now I would take the extra time and pack in two loads. You are only going 3.5 miles so it shouldn't take all that much extra time to do two trips.

Consider using cbigbears's one stick climbing method. I use it with a 8.5lb Assault and my total weight is 12lbs for stand and climbing method. Lighter than a climber, and can get in any tree.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20108

Set up your stand with a hip belt and shoulder straps, so you can use it like a frame pack. you will be able to strap some extra gear to it. Carry 50lbs with your pack frame, and carry 25-30lbs with your stand (acting as a pack frame).

If you buy a tent, select a two person dome style with a vestibule. This leaves space for gear inside the tent, and allows you to cook meals in the vestibule if it is raining. you could get a three person dome with a vestibule for added space, but it will cost you in weight.

I love back pack hunting for whitetails!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:13 pm

KLEMZ wrote:You may as well add a climbing stand (or lock on and sticks) and safety harness to your packing list. So instead of a 50lb pack, you are looking at 75lbs. I have done that, but, now I would take the extra time and pack in two loads. You are only going 3.5 miles so it shouldn't take all that much extra time to do two trips.

Consider using cbigbears's one stick climbing method. I use it with a 8.5lb Assault and my total weight is 12lbs for stand and climbing method. Lighter than a climber, and can get in any tree.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=20108

Set up your stand with a hip belt and shoulder straps, so you can use it like a frame pack. you will be able to strap some extra gear to it. Carry 50lbs with your pack frame, and carry 25-30lbs with your stand (acting as a pack frame).

If you buy a tent, select a two person dome style with a vestibule. This leaves space for gear inside the tent, and allows you to cook meals in the vestibule if it is raining. you could get a three person dome with a vestibule for added space, but it will cost you in weight.

Agreed on all counts....didn't think of the stand.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm a big fan of boondocking/stealth parking during my annual rut vacation.

I don't mind spending a couple weeks living out of my truck. In fact, I pride myself on saving a couple grand on lodging expenses and rolling that cash into trail cameras and other gear!

Here are a couple links about getting started...

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/boondockin ... alth-park/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/bobs- ... -the-city/
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/steal ... ns-part-2/

Last year I spent almost 2 weeks hunting 7 different counties. With the exception of a short trip home to treat poison oak/lyme disease, the trip was almost entirely out of my truck. I honestly find myself more focused mentally when hunting and sleeping in the elements. The luxuries of modern life seem to soften the mine.

I've also slept overnight in areas I expect deer the following morning to improve access. This works great.

Good luck this year.
elknturkey

Unread postby elknturkey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:23 am

KLEMZ wrote:You may as well add a climbing stand (or lock on and sticks) and safety harness to your packing list. So instead of a 50lb pack, you are looking at 75lbs. I have done that, but, now I would take the extra time and pack in two loads. You are only going 3.5 miles so it shouldn't take all that much extra time to do two trips.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=20108

Stands are getting packed in this spring so they will already be there. I have 13 cameras and they will be going with me when I do the stands.I quit using them a few years ago due to the bears trashing them within hours of being hung but no point in leaving them at home. This spot will rely heavily on the acorn crop so it may be a bust this coming year but expect it to pay off in the next couple of years.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”