went to the new area...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

went to the new area...

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 pm

So we got a nice lake effect snow blast and its not letting up...

Have to be back to work by 530am..have an hour and 20min commute on most days.. So I figured I might as well sleep on the cot...

Figured with 2 hours of daylight left I'd run up and do some poking around in the fresh snow...

Not seconds from my chosen parking spot I found tracks...older but numerous...

I kept working my way down the cut paths a while till I found a decent amount of tracks heading toward the creek on the GPS...

I got to the creek and its gorgeous...the terrain is awesome near it...and its deep and wide..kind of a slough more than a flowing creek...

Tons of tracks within bow range of it...I started looking for a possible stand knowing that during the rut and high pressure days it will act as a barrier..I looked and sure enough a ladder stand! Ugh!!!

I looked across the slough and at least 6 deer were standing there! I THINK 2 were decent bucks but it was snowing so hard it was hard to be certain...

I followed the slough a ways and light was gunna start fading so I started looping toward the truck...

Found some nice big oaks and grape vines...the deer are in there heavy...really heavy...

Oaks are limited...lots of small trees..

I need a lone wolf and sticks...a climber ain't gunna work in there in most places...

I still have NO clue where the beast will hide...

I need to do more poking around...but seeing all the tracks and deer got me excited!

A lot of snow stuck to the trees so finding rubs was tough..I found a few though...

5000 acres....the beasts have lots of places to hide...its a BIG block...

I gotta get the satellite view on my GPS before next time...lots of cut paths in there but no way to know where they lead...

Interesting area...much different than anywhere I've ever hunted...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”