Why Beast Hunters?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

parkersdad

Why Beast Hunters?

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:29 am

I was just curious as to why more of you guys do not use a saddle type system? I ordered the new evolution tree saddle by new tribe today. I loved my trophy line saddle but sold it out of stupidity. This new saddle actually has a seat in it. These things truly are quiet and stealthy so why don't more of you guys use the saddle system?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Why Beast Hunters?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:35 am

For me I can't shoot well hanging on the side of a tree an d I have a system that works quite well... I never really gave it a reasonable try, so maybe stuck in my ways a little... My system works well for me and my motto is "fix whats broke, and don't change what works"
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:37 am

Not a veteran bed hunter here, but my opinion saddle type stands take way more movement to pull off a shot. They also lack versatility when it comes to tree selection.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:45 am

It does take some practice and I actually got good shooting from mine. It may take more movement to shoot in some circumstances but the good thing is when you see the deer you can sneak around the tree and keep the tree between you and the deer. When ready pop out and make the shot.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:55 am

Having the tree in front of you, or to your back are the same... Either way it breaks up your outline and you blend in. But, I don't "pop out" and shoot a deer... I am standing ready with my back against the tree and no movement ready to slide the bow back slow as soon as the deer enters a kill spot.
The way it looks to me, to not be silhouetted, you would have to shoot thru the tree or when you draw to shoot your body is sticking out from the side of the tree to the deers view... And, I never draw while the deer is behind something cause if he stops, turns, or catches a noise or movement when you draw your done... I always draw when there is a clear shot, which with the saddle, appears to me to be when I am sticking out from the side of the tree...
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:06 am

To each their own, I was just asking the questions waiting for answers. I still like the tree settle system is I think it is more comfortable than a lock on. also there is no metal to make noise

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 am

I love the idea but have never been able to wrap my head around the execution. Maybe my fault for not giving them an honest try and practicing with them but kind like what Dan said, if its not broke why fix it.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 am

I gave the saddle an honest try for one solid season. I killed a lot of deer from it but it has more disadvantages compared to Lone Wolf in my opinion. It just takes more movement simply put. I had a nice 140-145 bust me moving into position and that made me switch back to my wolf.

I will say that the saddle I had was too big. I should have used a medium instead of a large. I'd like to mess with one again someday and see if a proper fitting saddle would have made any difference.

In the end, its tough to beat a quiet stand like the LW
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am

I also think there is too much more movement involved with a saddle. There are millions upon millions of hunters that agree. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am

Bark noise. I hunt out of a lot of long leaf pines. Noisiest bark on earth. You simply cannot get away with that noise when preparing for a bow shot.

I have a guidos web I rarely use. Wouldn't mind a true saddle for lightweight. I would still-hunt with it deep and setup on the fly.

Edit: almost forgot about the 140"+ 10 point a couple years ago that came in dogging a doe over my left shoulder. I turned my head when the doe came through then watched him come and stop in a 25 yard lane. I slowly swung around but it was too late. From my LW I would have had that shot.
Last edited by PK_ on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:13 am

I used one a lot this year and got one with it during gun season. I went back to my lone wolf stands because they are less finicky on set up vs comfort. If I didn't get the saddle knot just right, I was miserable. If I got it right, it was awesome. I also moved waaaay more in it , and that was my biggest complaint. I probably had about 50 or 60 hours worth of use and decided it wasn't for me. I also didn't like the tricks was of a shot to my right rear. The only advantage I found was the weight factor, which is a big factor, but didn't outweigh the negatives for me.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:26 am

I used one for a few year until this year I used it once and went back to lone wolf stands. To me it is way more comfortable than the stand but it has some disadvantages and to me it was the climbing of the tree. I been true everything made to climb the tree then you need a platform once you are there. I think presets are prob the best setup which I never did. After learning some beast hunting I feel there is not much of a need to hunt 360 around the tree. I have killed many deer from it an think it is a great tool and I still I can get away with more movement behind the tree as deer come in. I sold mine this year and went all lone wolf and been liking it. Thanks to the stealth strips it makes a nice setup.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:38 am

I used the tree saddle for three seasons. I just flat out had to move too much to stay comfortable. Plus I never had a good system for a base. On private land where I could use screw-ins it was fine. I tried the cranford rope on steps on a ratchet strap but they would still flex away from the tree no matter how tight you cranked them so it wasn't very safe or comfortable.

I've found that I can get my LW in any tree that I could get my saddle in. I'm a lot happier with my current setup. Even with the negatives I mentioned I was still reluctant to switch from my saddle but I'm glad I did.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:57 am

Im guessing 4-6" diameter trees 5-6 ft off the ground dont work well for it either?? So it wouldnt work in over half my setups.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 am

I have both. I have a new tribe Aero hunter and used it the last two season and and just bought an AlphaII this year because I increasingly found the draw backs of the saddle for certain situations. I still find myself hunting for just the right tree. can't set up in small trees. Tons of movemnet and noise from setting your ratchet strap platform to setting your eye sling to hook into. Your knees against pine trees sucks which I have a ton of. Don't get me wrong I love my saddle and use it for all day sits b/c its super comfortable to me. but there are way less moving parts w/ the lone wolf and alot less nuance as far as having just all the right moving parts to get the system down. Plus accumulating all the gear to saddle hunt is about twice as much cost wise if you are starting from the ground up. and as far a saving weight. not much difference. If you are going to complain about a pound or 3 you need to find a different passtime. After running the gambut from climbers to saddles to the Lone Wolf; Once i got situated with the Alpha it was like a light bulb went off, thinking to myself why was I so resistent to hanging a lock on for mobile hunting. Easiest and quietest thing I've ever done until you try it you see why its so effective and superior for getting where you need to be when you need to be there. Each has it merits and I will continue to use both but I know if I have my alpha on my back I can hunt anywhere I don't run the risk of packing my saddle into a marsh I cyber scouted and when I get there I have 8" diameter trees as crooked as a dog leg.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”