Deer sense of smell and super cold weather

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mspaci

Re: Deer sense of smell and super cold weather

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:43 am

I have had many days of heads up running in cold icy windy conditions. Every day can be different. Most times its weather the rabbits go to hole or stay up & run, not the dogs ability. Honestly, most days they run fine if the bunnies cooperate,regardless of conditions. My dogs have big noses & are bred that way. If they cant run in bad conditions they dont stay here long. I am sure deer noses are better. I think they smell just fine in cold conditions. My point is, dont let your scent get to them & you will be fine.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 am

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/rabbit-hunting/scenting-and-tracking

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I'm glad I don't use beagles. :lol:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 am

It is a fact that warm weather and high humidity increase odor.

Ever fart in a hot shower?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

So your gonna believe a generic web site? You obviously dont know much about beagles. There are many different kinds of beagles. In the southwest they breed for a hot nose(not as sensative because of the conditions there, takes more scent for the dog to open on scent), We breed for extreme cold nose(dont need as much scent) to open. You stated that you dont even bring the dogs when it snows, we look forward to that. The beagles unlimitited are in Cali or Arizona I think, remember them talking about jack rabbits. IE hot nose breeding. I also think the scent is better not weaker as the run gets longer. Hey but what do I know? Personnaly having witnesses it thousands of times? Not gonna argue dogs w/ you any more, believe what want. The cat guy is telling the same.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:00 pm

A lot of guys that run rabbits, coyotes, coon, etc tell me the same thing about their dogs..super cold dry days just plain suck for hunting with dogs.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 pm

mspaci wrote:So your gonna believe a generic web site? You obviously dont know much about beagles. There are many different kinds of beagles. In the southwest they breed for a hot nose(not as sensative because of the conditions there, takes more scent for the dog to open on scent), We breed for extreme cold nose(dont need as much scent) to open. You stated that you dont even bring the dogs when it snows, we look forward to that. The beagles unlimitited are in Cali or Arizona I think, remember them talking about jack rabbits. IE hot nose breeding. I also think the scent is better not weaker as the run gets longer. Hey but what do I know? Personnaly having witnesses it thousands of times? Not gonna argue dogs w/ you any more, believe what want. The cat guy is telling the same.

I with you, I wouldn't keep a hound if it couldn't hunt in terrible conditions. Our season is January 1st through march 1st, the whole season is terrible conditions.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 pm

mspaci wrote:So your gonna believe a generic web site? You obviously dont know much about beagles. There are many different kinds of beagles. In the southwest they breed for a hot nose(not as sensative because of the conditions there, takes more scent for the dog to open on scent), We breed for extreme cold nose(dont need as much scent) to open. You stated that you dont even bring the dogs when it snows, we look forward to that. The beagles unlimitited are in Cali or Arizona I think, remember them talking about jack rabbits. IE hot nose breeding. I also think the scent is better not weaker as the run gets longer. Hey but what do I know? Personnaly having witnesses it thousands of times? Not gonna argue dogs w/ you any more, believe what want. The cat guy is telling the same.

First I never said we don't hunt in the snow....we looked forward to rabbit hunting after deer season. Snow where we live, Far Northern WI.

What lateral do you live at? -13F at the house right now with out wind chill.

What you consider cold I run around in a sweatshirt.

I grew up with dogs and my old man's beagles were very well known demanding high dollar with many field trial winners also.

Believe what you want about dogs....they're yours. Believe what you want about deer and how scents affect their behavior and weather conditions impacting them.

I tried to help by posting my knowledge, not get in a peeing match who knows dogs better......

As this site grows it's bound to pick up a few jack wagons along the way. May be time for me to stop sharing actual experiance in the woods.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Cool topic, I think one thing to remember is the origin of scents. Scents are really just varying combinations of chemical compounds that when mixed become volatile. This volatility puts these molecules in motion. Olfactory nerve receptors in animal and human nasal cavities interpret these molecules as scents. Then our brain or the animals brain determines what the scent is by learned behavior. When you close your eyes and smell a banana, you know its a banana because you have seen it, tasted it, and smelled it before. Also someone likely told you that it was a banana at some point in your life :lol:

Chemical compounds in general become more volatile as temperature rises. Also as the temperature rises the vapor pressure increases which causes chemical compounds to move into a gaseous state thus producing more scent. As temperatures decrease chemical compounds become less volatile and vapor pressure decreases causing less scent to be produced.

Environmental conditions in general also have an effect on volatility, decomposition, and concentration of chemical compounds producing specific odors.

So its most likely not a case of the person's, dog's, or deer's nose does that not work as good in cold weather but rather their is just less to smell in cold weather. :geek:
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 am

Hodag, please forgive me, it was another poster that said he didnt run on snow. Sorry we dont agree, didnt think it was a pissing match, just a great discussion about scent. Cold here this morning as well, -5. Used to it, grew up in western ny. I do think the jack wagon comment was not called for however. Mike
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:

First I never said we don't hunt in the snow....we looked forward to rabbit hunting after deer season. Snow where we live, Far Northern WI.

What lateral do you live at? -13F at the house right now with out wind chill.

What you consider cold I run around in a sweatshirt.

I grew up with dogs and my old man's beagles were very well known demanding high dollar with many field trial winners also.

Believe what you want about dogs....they're yours. Believe what you want about deer and how scents affect their behavior and weather conditions impacting them.

I tried to help by posting my knowledge, not get in a peeing match who knows dogs better......

As this site grows it's bound to pick up a few jack wagons along the way. May be time for me to stop sharing actual experiance in the woods.

We really do not want to go down the path of guys telling others "what they know" or answering by calling the other guy a "Jack Wagon"... If someone crosses the line, let us know and we will remove the statement and send a PM to the poster... two wrongs don't make a right. Now, lets please get back to subject without the disrespect.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:16 am

I have two beagles and I can tell you when I let them out to go potty in the winter, they run out, pee and head back in way faster than they do when there isn't snow on the ground. I don't think its so much there nose isn't as good, I think its because they are smart enough to realize its better inside where they don't drag their transmission in the snow with every step!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19 am

So in laymens terms, if it's good snowman makin weather it's better scenting conditions for the deer/beagles?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 am

john1984 wrote:So in laymens terms, if it's good snowman makin weather it's better scenting conditions for the deer/beagles?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

My opinion, yes. Your description is perfect.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”