How close to beds by boat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

How close to beds by boat?

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:51 am

For those that have used Jon boats/canoes, and such. how close to a bedding area can you get without spooking the deer? I have a 12' Jon boat with a 4hp fourstroke Merc. Its quiet, but I'm not sure bow close j can get. I have one area that I have to boat past, or almost on top of. Thanks for any input.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: How close to beds by boat?

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:17 am

So many factors come to mind-isolated area or populated-the wind, etc... A 12 footer would be easy enough to drive by motor and then pushpole or paddle the remaining few hundred yards.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 am

I usually tie up around 300 yards from the spots i hunt. This time of year it's tough with lack of cover though.
The thermals from where i tie up can run up the ridges to where i hunt causing a problem sometimes. Luckily i have a neighbor who likes to fish and he drops me off a lot. That way i have been able to fool deer into thinking i was just another fisherman and left.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 am

I always rowed in from up stream for stealth.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 am

I wouldn't use an outboard motor to try to get very close. Paddle in.

With the right wind and rustling cattails you can get in pretty close. I got within 50 yards once to an island of bedded deer with my canoe and paddle
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:10 am

My only way to this spot is from up river, and then at the northern most point of the river, it turns south. This is where the spot to hunt is. Depending on.the wind I might be able to wade the shallow side in. It will take some figuring out in the spring. How deep is the river, etc.... its a new found spot. All under 6+" of ice at the moment. Thanks for the info. Its a 4 mile boat ride just to get to it, to far to paddle, but 100yds out, I could kill the motor and float/paddle down.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”