Kayak or Canoe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

Kayak or Canoe

Unread postby Peeps22 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I've been looking into buying a smaller canoe or a kayak to reach some public spots. I'd like to be able to haul it in the bed of my f150 so I'm leaning more towards a kayak just for weight and ease of maneuvering. Does anyone have any input as to what they think would be a better choice? It would only be for small rivers and creeks so no large bodies of water...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Zap

Re: Kayak or Canoe

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:06 pm

I vote for canoe.

I love mine.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 pm

If you're going to kill anything you will need a canoe. I have been hunting out of mine more and more lately. I'm working 12s now but will put a thread up soon on how I set mine up for hunting. Most canoes aren't much heavier then kayaks, but far exceed them in hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 pm

I use both. The canoe works best for hauling equipment and deer, and keeps you dryer, seems safer... But, the kayak is easier to handle alone, gets you thru micro canals back in deep swamps, and can be dragged across large land masses to the next body of water easily... As mentioned above, getting a deer out with a kayak is not an easy task. I have brought an inflatable raft with me to tie the deer into. Canoe gets the vote most of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 am

Here's one of my old posts:

I have a canoe for deer and duck hunting... have not gone the kayak route. Anyone else using a canoe? I have had mine for many years and it is very handy. The entire interior is foam lined and very quiet. The foam sponsons on the side make it very stable- I can stand up and rock my weight back and forth from my right leg to my left... dance if you will... and this thing only makes ripples in the water. With a seven hundred pound capacity and a 5 HP engine rating, this canoe has been handy for me many times. I can haul a buck, bow, stand, clothing and all gear... along with me... with ease. I can grab a crossbar with one arm and portage this canoe with ease. The ethafoam won't let the canoe sink, even when full of water. It works for me, anyway.

Here are the stats on my canoe:

Weight 67 lbs.
Centerline Length 15'3"
Beam 38"/44"
Depth -
Transom Width 13"
Transom Height 15"
Persons 5
Max. Capacity 705 lbs.
Max. Horsepower 5
Hull Thickness 0.032
Number of Ribs 29
Stern Type Square

Sportspal Canoes
Sportspal Canoes are manufactured from Aircraft Grade Aluminum, which is then stretch-formed, heat treated and hardened. Lined with ethafoam (closed cell polyethylene) so they won't sink even if fully loaded with water. The two piece hull is joined at the keel, making Sportspal canoes very durable.

Unusual stability and safety make these fine canoes excellent for family recreation or premier sporting. The special lining makes these canoes very quiet. A duck hunters gun's recoil will not flip the Sportspal, and his dog can climb in and out for retrieving game. Being very light, it is easy to portage. And, of course, since you virtually cannot sink a Sportspal, all that valuable gear that sportsmen carry have less chance of accidental loss. The Sportspal is designed to give year round use, adaptable to many sports activities. A wide flat bottom coupled with the side ethafoam sponsons makes Sportspal canoes the most stable canoes available.

Sportspal canoes are made in the USA, and should not be confused with another canoe manufactured in Canada, whose hull is composed of thinner (0.022), softer (marine grade) aluminum.

http://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 am

This is my ride, old town discovery 13, haul around back of truck nicely, enough capacity to haul deer out, the royalex is quieter pulling over beaver dams, slapping brush, all around great canoe imo!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:48 am

Does anyone know of any short canoes or where I could buy one? I'd like it to be as short as possible but not sure what's all out there...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 am

sit on top kayak ....I can get in more silent and down narrower channels and creeks ,also lighter in weight

I have a inflatable waft I store in my center console in my kayak when I get a deer.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 am

Peeps22 wrote:Does anyone know of any short canoes or where I could buy one? I'd like it to be as short as possible but not sure what's all out there...

I would not go too short or you will have no room.

Why short?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:49 am

Peeps22 wrote:Does anyone know of any short canoes or where I could buy one? I'd like it to be as short as possible but not sure what's all out there...

short for hauling? Here's one:

http://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/models/S-11
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:56 am

If 's one or the other for the time being I would go canoe. Easier gear transport and deer transport. I have used both, but for me a canoe is just easier and less likely to end wet if it is an option. I have two tamarack islands in a marsh I tried to get into with a canoe this year but was denied. Excited to scout them after everything finally freezes. If they are as I suspect, the kayak will be making a go at those.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:37 am

I have both and much prefer the canoe, more stable and more room for gear. Mine is an old heavy aluminum model but its still pretty easy to haul around if needed, a couple spots I have to drag it 100 yards or soe to reach open water and its not a big deal.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 am

I had a 12' aluminum before the 13' old town and it was definitely borderline stability, the 13' is no 18'er, but a lot more functional for me personally. If you haven't tried many different canoes or kayaks definitely would try before buy

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:26 am

Yeah I'd like it short for hauling purposes. BigHunt, is there a reason that you chose a sit on top kayak instead of a sit-in kayak? The ease of getting in/out? Also how does the blowup raft work with getting deer out? I was leaning more towards a kayak but hearing all of the suggestions and experiences from all you guys it seems more lean towards a canoe. I'm in no rush to buy either so I'd like to get as much input as I can. Anybody else??

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:31 am

My uncle brings his 2 kayaks up north to fish on the small lake by our cabin and we also have a 17ft canoe on our pond up there, so I've used both enough to know kind of pros and cons each them have but I've never used either of them to reach spots for hunting, so I'm lacking the experience that way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”