Kayak or Canoe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutjunkie

Re: Kayak or Canoe

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 pm

I had a square back 16 ft pelican. Impossible to paddle by self. Must have something to do with the water eddy ing behind square back. If that makes any sense.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:58 am

I have the 12' pointed canoe... It weighs 34lbs, 500lb carrying capacity... I have not a single complaint about it and have used it for going on 5 years now. i take it bowhunting and do a fair amount of fishing as well. Since it weights 34lbs, I can drag it really wherever I want, it's easy to put on my car, etc. I paddle using a kayak paddle actually, super easy and can really get moving too. When I'm hunting, I usually throw some padding in the canoe/over the edges so there are no clanks, and it works like a dream. Plenty of room for me and my gear, and if I would get a deer (never have had to haul one yet though)

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/pointed_canoes.htm

Not sure what this would retail for, but I found mine at a local shop that was randomly selling it as a scratch and dent (not a scratch or dent on it though!) for $150. The guy who sold it to me said it came on some random shipment from Canada and he had no idea how it ended up at their store. :)
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:24 am

mibowhunter wrote:I have the 12' pointed canoe... It weighs 34lbs, 500lb carrying capacity... I have not a single complaint about it and have used it for going on 5 years now. i take it bowhunting and do a fair amount of fishing as well. Since it weights 34lbs, I can drag it really wherever I want, it's easy to put on my car, etc. I paddle using a kayak paddle actually, super easy and can really get moving too. When I'm hunting, I usually throw some padding in the canoe/over the edges so there are no clanks, and it works like a dream. Plenty of room for me and my gear, and if I would get a deer (never have had to haul one yet though)

Not sure what this would retail for, but I found mine at a local shop that was randomly selling it as a scratch and dent (not a scratch or dent on it though!) for $150. The guy who sold it to me said it came on some random shipment from Canada and he had no idea how it ended up at their store. :)

I have the same canoe and Love it !! It's a Raddison. Mine no longer has the foam bumpers on the outside, but still has it on the floor board. Super light Aircraft aluminum, only down fall with that is all it takes is that pointy river rock and you could have water coming in, no joke ! I have did a few patch jobs on mine.
I fish out of it and use to use it back when I did a lot of duck hunting. Unfortunately, I have no where in my area I can use it for Public land deer hunting.
Closest is West or North of me.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:34 am

Anyone here use jon boats or anything like that? Or just canoes/kayaks? Definitely looking into uying some kind of watercraft for hunting or fishing purposes

Tom's Hunting Lodge

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 am

NCmedic wrote:Anyone here use jon boats or anything like that? Or just canoes/kayaks? Definitely looking into uying some kind of watercraft for hunting or fishing purposes

Saw an Avatar Pic of someone here with a nice buck in there jon boat, can't remember who ??
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:06 am

Tom's Hunting Lodge wrote:
mibowhunter wrote:I have the 12' pointed canoe... It weighs 34lbs, 500lb carrying capacity... I have not a single complaint about it and have used it for going on 5 years now. i take it bowhunting and do a fair amount of fishing as well. Since it weights 34lbs, I can drag it really wherever I want, it's easy to put on my car, etc. I paddle using a kayak paddle actually, super easy and can really get moving too. When I'm hunting, I usually throw some padding in the canoe/over the edges so there are no clanks, and it works like a dream. Plenty of room for me and my gear, and if I would get a deer (never have had to haul one yet though)

I have the same canoe and Love it !! It's a Raddison. Mine no longer has the foam bumpers on the outside, but still has it on the floor board. Super light Aircraft aluminum, only down fall with that is all it takes is that pointy river rock and you could have water coming in, no joke ! I have did a few patch jobs on mine.
I fish out of it and use to use it back when I did a lot of duck hunting. Unfortunately, I have no where in my area I can use it for Public land deer hunting.
Closest is West or North of me.

This is one I started with, did the job, but much happier with old town royalex

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Tom's Hunting Lodge

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:34 pm

NCmedic wrote:Anyone here use jon boats or anything like that? Or just canoes/kayaks? Definitely looking into uying some kind of watercraft for hunting or fishing purposes

Found it, Member here name kurt , has a nice one in his profile pic
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:33 am

I like the idea of a duck skiff or a square back canoe so I can put a motor on it. I would be using it in the WI river, would a trolling motor have enough oomph to go against the current for several miles? I would think that would be outboard territory?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:16 am

matt1336 wrote:I bought this. The final attack by Beavertail. Made in MN. Put a 34 lb thrust trolling motor on it. I just got it from Santa so I can't give it a review. I think it's gonna be just what I need.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beaverta ... ttack+duck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

^^^yes...I'm quoting my own post. But Check this thing out. It has wheels on the back of it. It can fit in the back of my truck without problems and it's reviews have been really good.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 am

Brad wrote:I like the idea of a duck skiff or a square back canoe so I can put a motor on it. I would be using it in the WI river, would a trolling motor have enough oomph to go against the current for several miles? I would think that would be outboard territory?

No. You will need an outboard.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 am

I am actually looking into the Native Ultimate FX 15 foot hybrid canoe/Kayak. Will haul around 600 pounds. It weighs in around 80 Pounds with the tandem seat removed. Believe it is the best of both worlds - easy paddling of kayak - hauls a lot - canoe and better stability them both.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”