Busted.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hill Hunter

Busted.....

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:42 am

We've all been there, busted by a big buck. Whether it is that he winded you, caught your movement, got wind of the scent trail you left on the way to your stand, or whatever, etc...

I'm interested in the different reactions of the mature bucks to the fellow beasts' presence and how they made their exit upon sensing danger or feeling uncomfortable.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Busted.....

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 am

The reactions I have experienced have been about the same as before I hunted as a Beast, busted is busted as far as how they react. But I will say since hunting Beast style and planning detailed exit and entry routes has minimized the occurrences considerably. Knowing where they bed really helps with this. Knowing what they can see and hear from a given location has definitely changed the way I move about the woods.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:17 am

One evening hunt years ago I decided to try and put a doe in the freezer with my bow before heading out the next day for gun deer camp. I had a doe permit and if the situation presented itself I planned on taking the shot unless a buck was in view or showed up first. Two does walked out right beneath my stand, and I missed the bigger of the two cleanly. They ran in a circle and ended up beneath my tree again, not certain as to what had just happened. I tried to slip another arrow onto my string as they began walking off. That’s when I saw him out of the corner of my eye to the left- a big eight was locked onto the does with eyes and ears and watched them slip away. He stood statue still for a couple of minutes with senses on full alert while trying to figure out for himself what had just happened.

What he did next amazes me to this day? He stood up on his hind legs and stretched his nose straight up into the air as high as he could reach. This buck was trying to tap into elevated air currents in a way that I had never heard of or watched before. When he came back down onto all fours he looked shocked, and actually backpedalled a few steps before swinging his rack around and taking off.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Now that cool story Scott!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:16 pm

When hunters are not in the woods deer walk around all the time on the back two legs just like us. Cool story are deer that smart?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:39 am

Beauford wrote:When hunters are not in the woods deer walk around all the time on the back two legs just like us.

:lol: Yep, with a can of Bud Light while wearing sun glasses!

Beauford wrote:Cool story are deer that smart?

I doubt that he was much smarter than the average buck, but he had picked that little trick up somewhere along the way and it served him well. Standing flat on the ground he didn't smell me- I'm confident he would have made his exit if he did- but he sure picked me off with his little elevation trick. I'm sure that wasn't the first or last time he pulled that off- an interesting point is that this area was the definition of flat land.

I've never read of Lee Rue or anyone else observing this type of behavior- not saying they haven't, but I've never read about it to this day.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:32 am

My favorite busted story was about 5 years back during MN's rifle season. Right at daybreak I see a younger 8 moving fast with his nose to the groud, it was November 10th and they were chasing and I was ready and fired up for the day! About an hour later it is dead calm and I hear the dreaded snort, it was close and loud and echoed so I had no idea where it came from but I just got the sense it was from a buck. Then he kept snorting at me which was a little odd and it didn't take long to figure out he was strait downwind of me (more proof scent control doesn't work because I did everything to kill my scent that morning). So I slowly get turned around and see 2 does 40 yards away starring at me, they never smelt me and didn't know what was going on. My only hope was that they kept on going and the buck would try and follow them and I would get a shot. Well that big buck kepts blowing and blowing and blowing, 20 or 25 times and he pretty much forced those does to turn around an follow him. Finally I see a glimps of movement at the end of one of my shooting lanes, before I can get the gun up I see a big body jump across the lane and they are gone forever. I never did see what was on his head but I could tell by the body he was a big mature buck who was't going to be had by this hunter.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 am

cool story, headgear- there's nothing that irritates me more than a deer that blows, over and over...

the end of your shooting lane event had me flashing back to a big mistake I made years ago. I put a ground blind in a cedar swamp and had shooting lanes cut- one of them went right at the edge of a beaver flooding / marsh, what we call a transition line where the swamp edge met the marsh edge. But I left the lane short and didn't trim all the way to the marsh. Opening morning of gun season I was convinced a hunter was walking down the edge of the marsh toward my blind, an incredible amount of noise was slowly headed my way. I saw the flash of a walking whitetail, and put my scope on it. All I could see was the huge rump of what I was convinced was my target buck. I could have shot him in the pelvis, but passed. Four days later he was killed on the other side of the pond by another hunter, right on the transition line again, and he was a Beast for Michigan heavy pressure public land.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:02 am

Do anyone agree with the general statement that a mature buck will not blow and blow at you when he's detected your presence?? rather he will make his exit without much commotion??
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:06 am

I can agree with that hill, in my expereince does will blow multiple times while old bucks blow once and get the heck out of dodge. Although I have very little proof of this because they don't often show themselves after they blow you just kind of know it was a buck when you hear that one quick blow. In my post above the Buck was blowing like crazy but in that situation he had a couple of hot dates with him and he just made them turn back, the greedy SOB!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:30 am

I have seen both mature bucks and does blow once, and blow multiple times. However, it seems that mature bucks blow less often than does. In nature I think does blow more than bucks because they are responsible for fawns...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”