First Post - could use some advice hunting this area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

First Post - could use some advice hunting this area

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:31 am

The area I hunt is an area that use to be a lake. With the drought we had over the last five years it is now grown over with very thick brush, cattails along the dry creek beds and thorns. It is impassable for the most part. I blazed a trail through it this summer and the deer did use it to cross right through the middle. For the most part movement seems to be along the creeks. I have been unable to really isolate any real beds and the deer seem to bed anywhere. I would love it if you folks could narrow my focus down to where I should look for big buck bedding.

I tried to upload the picture but the gallery looks like it is in a different language? Not sure how to get this file uploaded now?

U.P. bownut
500 Club

Re: First Post - could use some advice hunting this area

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:42 am

Welcome to the Beast!

Maybe try to upload your pic from photobucket.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 am

I would start at the feeding area and work my way back towards bedding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:53 am

Mature buck Bedding is usually really easy to predict by maps in that type of terrain. Bucks are going to bed right on the transition line where the thick cattails or brush you mention meet the outer less thick vegetation... If you look at the transition line look for spots where there is a little finger of brush going in or out of the transition line, or any other abrupt bend in the transition line.

Try posting the map now... Our photo gallery was hacked, its fixed now...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:20 am

Ok FInally was able to post the pic. I have walked the perimeter but it is so thick and nasty that a lot of the deer are sticking to the woods. I plan on getting out in two weeks and really disecting this spot. ANy suggestions will be appreciated. Last year I focused on the outside bend of the creek as a lot of deer were funnelled around it when we finally got rain and the creek was 3 foot deep. I did notice that a lot of does bedded in this area and the bucks were crusiing the creek checking trails. What is funny, except for browse, the nearest food source is almost .5 mile away and they have to cross several creeks to get to it. It is 1 mile n/nw of the upper right corner.

guess I still am doing somehting wrong? here is link to the picture: copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=61485&pid=4685#top_display_media
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:34 am

Davet1963's Map:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:06 am

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Back to top. Any one have any suggestions where to start? Heading out Friday for two days of scouting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 am

Red buck bedding... Blue hunting spots
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:02 am

Thanks Dan - I thoroughly scouted these areas Saturday and was very disappointed as the hogs had these areas so tore up I could not find any real beds. I know there are at least two good bucks that frequent the creek that runs north and south and also they sometimes hit the area to the far north/east corner. I have found rubs and scrapes scattered but no real concentration. The area is so thick in most places highlighted that a buck would not be able to see very far at all.... however, there ain't nothing slipping through that mess without alerting them. I am struggling what to do next. I'd give anything right now for 3 days of 6 inch snow :) Any more suggestions?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”