Anyone ever try this

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Master Chief

Anyone ever try this

Unread postby Master Chief » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:10 am

Here's the scenario (just happened to me-still in the woods in fact) You jump a group of deer. They run a little ways and stop as they aren't sure what you are (the deer only seen/heard me.. They didn't get to confirm what I was with their nose) Knowing they are just at the top of the ridge I decided to try something new. Usually I would circle and try an ambush type tactic, but I wanted to try something new as they ran up yo the top of a ridge where it would be hard for me to get close enough.

I took off full sprint towards the deer. Doing this is something that seems crazy, but it worked. I had read about the idea before. The theory behind it is that deer are curious (and relatively dumb) They aren't used to a human running through the woods like a maniac so they attempt to circle back and check out whats going on.

It worked for me so i thought I would share. A young doe split from the group and circled right back to me 20 yards away immediately after I stopped running. A few moments later another doe circled the opposite direction, but winded me.

Try it out and make a post in this thread if it works fpr you. It's certainly. An unusual tactic, but hey, what works works! I'm still iffy on it so at this point I wouldn't try it on a shooter buck, but maybe I'll bump one that I don't want to shoot to try it put on a smart deer

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Anyone ever try this

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 am

That does sound crazy enough that it could work! I do know that if a deer doesn't know what you are and you stop moving, that it isn't uncommon to have them circle back to investigate. I can't say I've ever had a big buck do it though.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:24 am

I was cruising timber one day on a Fed wildlife refuge and had seen a couple deer. I quick darted to the area and within 30 seconds I had roughly 8+ bucks surounding me. I had been crouched down and no lie I had to scare them off b/c it was freaking me out that the largest buck in the group kept coming closer to me. He got within 10 yards and I scared them off because when he moved closer thay all moved closer. It was nuts. I didn't realize that they had circled me in until I got up and started waving my arms like a maniac and then I realized there were actually more there than I had visually confirmed. It was late season and they had grouped back up again I guess but this was in the middle of the day and it was by far the most bizzare encounter I've ever had with deer. The largest deer was at least a 3.5 yro 8 point and the rest were all subordinate being spikes and baskets or fork horns. so I guess I could see the validity to your tactic. totally throwing the deer for a loop b/c you are moving off cadance of a normal human rythm when walking through the woods.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:36 am

I've bumped a few deer and had them come back many times, I've never tried chasing after them but something to think about. I did bump my 2013 buck out of his bed and he managed to come back and let me shoot him a couple hours later, as long as they don't wind you or get a good look at you there is always a chance. Of course the dozen other times I've bumped bucks they haven't come back so there is that too.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:56 am

My buddy shot a 12-pointer one year doing something similar...

Saw the buck on a power line around 100-yards and they locked eyes, deer walked away quickly.
My buddy went nuts running around in circles, pushing over saplings, breaking branches and mouth grunting for 30-seconds.

Buck came back and was met with a 12ga. slug.
I told him that his deer are dumber than mine :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:11 am

If I ran in the woods (or anywhere), the deer would be ok and I'd probably die of a heart attack. :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:If I ran in the woods (or anywhere), the deer would be ok and I'd probably die of a heart attack. :lol:

Lmao!!! :lol:

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:40 pm

That guy at the Deer Classic says he runs to his stand and then runs out right before dark. Dan knows who I mean, I can't remember his name. He touches deer with sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm going to try that one of these days.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:14 pm

I killed a good buck from the ground with the bow doing that.

I posted the story in a thread somewhere on this forum... Lol.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Dang guess I need to start training by running with my stand on my back lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:40 pm

I run to my truck grunting after dark to help not clear/spook ag fields late Oct-Dec.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:40 am

A few years ago my brother and I were nudging some bedding late muzzleloader season, he bumped a good 10 point to me. The buck came out into a field only 60 yards away and stopped with my brother standing 200 yards right behind him in the wide open so I could not shoot. The deer was looking toward me, I knew whatever I did he would see me immediately so I ran 30 yards cross ways to my right. The buck just stared incredulous, once I got far enough I stopped and shouldered my gun....and missed the chip shot. My brother watched the whole thing and got a good laugh anyway :lol:

That is the big problem with that. You probably wont hit the broadside of a barn after a full out sprint in hunting gear. I missed a 60-70 yard chip shot because I was panting after running only 30 yards through a foot of snow wearing pac-boots, and I am in good shape otherwise. I should have sat down and shot across my knees, probably would have been stable enough then.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”