Details, details, details

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Details, details, details

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm

What do you think are the little details, the smallest ones, that separates you as a mature buck killer versus the average hunter? I'd imagine anyone on this sight has by now, learned about leeward side, thermal tunnels, playing the wind, finding beds, etc. I am asking more about the little unnoticed things that others would miss...for example, the notion that you have a really good chance of seeing a mature buck t tat or near the same spot on the same day a year later...these types of little tidbits that don't get talked about but could be the difference. It could be that little thing that has you placing your stand in one spot that gets you the kill shot that other guys wouldn't think of...it could be looking in spots that other guys wouldn't think of.

One thing I do that I've never heard anyone talk about is take a vitamin called Prostaman, they sell it at Rite Aid, it enables me to go all morning without having to urinate. This has helped me to stay in the stand longer than I otherwise would be able to do. May sound crazy but works very well for me and I've been busted having to get out of the stand to urinate.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
365all_out

Re: Details, details, details

Unread postby 365all_out » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 pm

I PEE FROM STAND :think:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Where u step and how u access.... I guarantee that separates the killers from those that are still learning

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:59 pm

365all_out wrote:I PEE FROM STAND :think:

Me too. Never had a deer even mature bucks spook from pee. Some even seem attracted to it under the tree until they reach my ground scent where I climbed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Bucky wrote:Where u step and how u access.... I guarantee that separates the killers from those that are still learning

Yep. I blew a chance this year early season by making one small step onto the buck trail when I got turned around slightly in some thick stuff.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Bucky wrote:Where u step and how u access.... I guarantee that separates the killers from those that are still learning

Agreed and it cost me a SLOB this season....

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:55 pm

You gotta have a shot. There is no one, that ever killed a good buck, that didn't have a shot. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Confidence and attitude. In order to stay quiet enough, or to stay focused long enough, to walk the distance, to stay till closing, to slowly scan your head always looking, you need to believe in what you are doing.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 am

Stanley wrote:You gotta have a shot. There is no one, that ever killed a good buck, that didn't have a shot. :think:

Safety 1st then this^^^^
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:02 am

With regard to the peeing, it is as much about movement for me.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:10 am

mheichelbech wrote:With regard to the peeing, it is as much about movement for me.

I pee from my stand 50-75% of my sits.... when you are up high... just let it fly! :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:23 am

Bucky wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:With regard to the peeing, it is as much about movement for me.

I pee from my stand 50-75% of my sits.... when you are up high... just let it fly! :lol:

I try to hold it for unsuspecting squirrel wash :lol:
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:31 am

PLB wrote:

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Amazing and no telling how many we spook that we never even got to see.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 am

mheichelbech wrote:
PLB wrote:

[ Post made via iPhone ]

[glow=red]Amazing and no telling how many we spook that we never even got to see.[/glow]

This is why I don't pee out of the stand.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”