Patterning And Bedding "Help Wanted"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Patterning And Bedding "Help Wanted"

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 pm

This is my first post, thank you for your help!

copper/displayimage.php?pid=4676

copper/displayimage.php?pid=4678

These blue represents the basic boundary of the part of the area that I have hunted in in previous years. After reading many articles here and watching Hill Country DVD, I used my next hunting opportunity to leave my usual spots behind and walk up on to the side of the hill to the north. I was very excited to see a big buck on my first attempt, as well as finding one doe bedding area and one buck bed, after having such a very poor season.

I suppose what I'm considering now that I didn't before is the possibility that the bucks could be traveling this far on a daily basis. Would some of you guys who have experience with the beast method be willing to look at the maps and shed some light on a few questions for me? I have a few days this week I am going to get to hunt and want to try to go about it as Beast as possible.

1) The hills I hunt seem to be taller than what I saw on the video, do you think the 1/3 from the top rule still applies?
2) With the exception of a bit of private property along the highway, these woods go for miles. They are dotted with tree farming, forage transitions, and many different types of thickets. I suppose one of the reasons why I originally didn't look for a buck to move this far on a daily basis is because I didn't see the need for them to. Do you think that a buck will still walk up on the side on the points to bed if they have lots of lowland, thick cover bedding options that are closer to the majority of the "deer sign?"
3)These hills run long distances east and west with many secondary points (fingers) coming down off the north and south sides as they go along. Is leg work the best way to decide which ones that would be used for bedding?

Thanks for any help!

(The green dot is a place where I have killed two nice bucks (late morning rutting activity), and sighted and photographed others. The red trail and dot is a location that in the 3 week period before the rut the target buck as well as a few other shooters showed up on camera right after sunset and once right before.)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”