Mature buck seasonal schedules the same each year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Mature buck seasonal schedules the same each year?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:43 pm

I posted earlier today about a large bodied and racked buck I saw this morning right at daylight heading through a draw and into a valley. Too far for a shot. The interesting thing is I am pretty sure, like 90% sure this may have been the same buck I saw last year at this very time of year except that it was in the evening and he was coming out of the very same valley and draw. I wished i had noted it as it may well have been the same day or very close. I know it was right after Christmas for sure. I saw a post on here about mature bucks following almost a "schedule" and seeing this buck made me think of that.

Does anyone else have any experience seeing the same buck on or near the same day from one year to the next?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Re: Mature buck seasonal schedules the same each year?

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 pm

I have seen it many times. Mostly this time of the year too.

Got a picture Friday of a buck almost to the day of last year he had his picture taken.

He vacates this farm when velvet drops and returns post rut.

When I ran 20+ cameras I got pictures such as this example many times per year

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:49 pm

:think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:06 pm

I have... I shot a big buck in the marsh a few years ago that I new would appear the last week of October. I just monitored his rubline and when it opened up right on schedule I went and sat his bed and shot him 1st day, exactly one year after seeing hum there the year before. I have seen it a number of times...
Andrae targets one specific buck and talks of this all the time... I remember him shooting the giant buck featured in marsh bucks, he said he hunted there that day cause a year to the day it entered that field from the same bed the year before...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:15 am

Conditions such as weather, food sources, stage of rut, and hunting pressure dictate what a buck is going to do all year long. If conditions are similar there is a good chance that buck (or another buck in the same area for that matter) will do the exact same thing - year after year.

I have seen that type of thing pretty often and its something I try to keep track of all the time now.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 am

I would say the conditions were pretty much the same, not sure on wind direction but temps, Etc I remember being similar.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 am

It is pretty common in the conifer swamps I hunt to have a buck bedding area become active on nearly the same day as the year before. Some rubs / scrapes appear on the exact same dates that are associated with the bedding, usually in late October / early November.

I have some other beds that become active after our gun deer season opens up.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 am

Just read this on facebook a couple days ago. http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/t ... ure-bucks/ Sorry guys I'm not computer savvy enough to get you a direct link.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:01 am

guess it did work
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:03 am

guess it did work
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 am

it happened to me in 2009 i believe to the day, the 8 pt was in his prime and was huge in 2008 but didnt commit and come in all the way, 2009 same tree same scenario he commited with 1 grunt as he was walking away and i drilled him. a bit past his prime his tines had shrunk but had great mass with dark chocolate rack it was no doubt him. teeth were right down to gum lines so he was fully mature and on his decline.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 am

I've seen with trailcam pics several times and killed 1 in 2009 on the 30th of Oct that I had seen from the same tree the year prior on that exact date.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”