Remember Everything is calculated

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: Remember Everything is calculated

Unread postby Brad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 am

I get a lot of flack for the attention to detail I have on what seems like small insignificant details, BUT a lot of small details combined make big details!y motto has always been no weak links. Hunting is largely out of my control in the grand scheme of things, but I worry about everything I do have control over and work so hard to eliminate errors on the things I can control.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:04 am

For me its not so much calculating. I have anxiety issues so I don't like to over think anything. Its just knowing and practicing a good routine. For me, it starts with wind direction, then figuring out a spot to hunt according to wind, how to make a good entry and setting up without making a big ruckus. The kill is all about timing IMO. Knowing when to move, Knowing when to pull your string back on your bow, and knowing when to deliver the arrow. Taking care of equipment issues should never be ignored either. Im surprised there isn't alot of discussions here that talk about equipment maintenance, and minor modifications that make the biggest differences. Overall, experience in these things will make it easier down the road.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:06 am

Only a beast what understand these calculations lol

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:09 am

Yes. Leave less to chance and your odds will go up. That rule is obvious but often ignored. Equipment, setup, everything.

Don't worry about the stuff you don't know - there will always be plenty of that even if you have 50 years of experience. Its about making the best choices about what you DO know.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:54 am

Yes, I enjoy the mental game for the most part but to tell the truth, a couple times each year I just get tired of over analyzing and preparing. I will just pick out an area that piques my interest, put my head down, point my nose into the wind and just plain go in after them. It is probably not the 'best' strategy for an immediate kill on a good buck, but it is a lot of fun and I always learn a lot on these aggressive hunts from the ground.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Yes, I enjoy the mental game for the most part but to tell the truth, a couple times each year I just get tired of over analyzing and preparing. I will just pick out an area that piques my interest, put my head down, point my nose into the wind and just plain go in after them. It is probably not the 'best' strategy for an immediate kill on a good buck, but it is a lot of fun and I always learn a lot on these aggressive hunts from the ground.

I agree here. All of the times that I have done this, its been new ground, or ground I scouted post season and forgot about, or just plain a cold call going in with no intel.

I have learned a lot from these types of hunts, and actually ended up dragging out on these fresh sits.

But not to get away from the OP topic, I absolutely agree that on a serious hunt, everything has to be well planned and perfectly executed
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 am

Having a routine definitely helps eliminate some errors but that also can mean its easier for deer to pattern YOU. Sometimes just throwing caution to the wind and going after only a hunch can pay off.

When I think about encounters with the biggest bucks, quite a few of mine have been in pretty unusual situations and I think that is pretty typical. Many were not a result of hours studying where and how to hunt a spot. If you read hunting mags like north american whitetail, you will notice more than a few world-class bucks are killed by a rookie hunter, a meat hunter, or someone who had no clue that buck was around. The hunter only succeeded by doing something the buck did not expect so be careful of routines.

Sometimes just grab your bow and go, the results might surprise you. That's one way of keeping from going crazy over the details :D
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:41 am

This planning to the umpteenth decimal can get out of hand. While spray paint ing at work today I was studying air movement in regards to the thermals and deer hunting. Wow. Spray painting makes me think of deer hunting....off the deep end for sure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:07 am

Great thread. Good advice
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:23 am

Brad wrote:a lot of small details combined make big details!

This line hit the nail on the head for me, its all about odds and doing my best to tip the odds in my favor. I try and do everything possible to make "it" happen and every now and then everything lines up just right.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am

You need some Stealth Strips on those sticks!! Cool setup though. Very well thought out.. 8-)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm definitely very calculated with equipment. But at the same time willing to go with gut instincts on my next move on a big buck. I may have a preseason plan but the whitetail woods throws curveballs you can't always be sitting waiting for a fastball.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”