Mature buck - what would you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Mature buck - what would you do?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 am

So I watched a mature buck (150s/60s) this morning walk right at daylight into a valley...he was too far away for a shot. I am pretty sure he was headed across the road to bedding. He did not catch my scent at all. At about 10, I tracked him to the end of the valley and lost his track. I am 99% sure he cross the road into bedding onto another property I have access to. Just not 100% sure where he would have gone. Either in a large overgrown CRP type field or up on a ridge top. Today is a north wind.

What would you do next? How would you track him down? This is the first time I have seen him travel through the area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
fishlips
500 Club

Re: Mature buck - what would you do?

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:45 am

Any idea of places he may go? Seems like if you saw him during day time, he probably didn't go much farther from where you saw him last. Maybe start poking around into areas closer to where you think he may have been heading.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:56 am

Am not sure which of the 2 places so I will be checking them out. Needle in a haystack but at least I know the needle is there. Am sitting across the road in an observation type stand this evening.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Interestingly, but not sure it is the same buck, if not the same, looked very similar to a buck I saw at this very same time last year exempt an evening hunt and he was going the other way.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Set up on both your suspected beds with the same wind.
Are you in the second rut? Could it be a travel corridor?

If you saw one similar last year in the same spot, nature is talking to you.......... answer by setting up on you suspicions. Not much of the season left, what can it hurt?

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:10 pm

I would of moved to where I saw him the next morning without following his tracks.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 am

Thanks all. It is a travel corridor for sure. Also, have seen some off and on spotty rut activity but don't think this was that. My brother is sitting there this morning but hasn't seen him. I will be there Wednesday morning which is soonest I can get back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”