Getting in quiet

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: Getting in quiet

Unread postby Brad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:47 am

The thing that's worked the best for me is just leaving extra extra early. If we rush we make noise, but if we leave and have an hour or two extra time on our side, who cares how long it takes. I have my stand quieted down as best I can with stealth strips, I go slow and try and look for sticks and leaves that will make more noise than others etc. I think taking 2 or 3 steps and waiting will work as good as any tactic. The biggest thing in my mind is getting out of the human cadence, squirrels make tons and tons of noise, but it's always in different cadences.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:01 am

On those beds that you can't get close enough to; because of a noisy entrance; I just set up at a distance I am comfortable with and rely on a little contentment grunting to entice some early movement. You still need to be uber stealthy getting to whatever distance you deem safe, but if the conditions are so quiet that you are concerned with getting busted trying to get closer; you can be assured that the buck will hear your carefully timed vocalizations.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
tmarbut wrote:Hey Uncle Lou: how bout some stealth strips for walking in dry leaves? Can ya make some? Lol

I could, but it would take some time to put them on all the leaves before you walk on them ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just died.

Arrowbender wrote:On those beds that you can't get close enough to; because of a noisy entrance; I just set up at a distance I am comfortable with and rely on a little contentment grunting to entice some early movement. You still need to be uber stealthy getting to whatever distance you deem safe, but if the conditions are so quiet that you are concerned with getting busted trying to get closer; you can be assured that the buck will hear your carefully timed vocalizations.

Good point. Sometimes in a situation like that I will get as close as i can and then around primetime I will just work a little bit closer very slowly, breaking little sticks and making soft grunts, will even rake a sapling. I have had some really really cool encounters doing this.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
redsquirrel

Unread postby redsquirrel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you to all for sharing some great information! :D
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:59 am

Like has been mentioned already slowing down anywhere deer may be close is the biggest thing.

Deer know the crunch crunch crunch of a walking human and if you don't sound like that you can get away with some noise. The woods is full of noise all the time - squirrels, birds, winds.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:32 am

In the past I was timing my steps to a passing car and a deer watched it drive by. Busted. I was in between the deer and passing car, so think it through a little. But the theory is sound (lol).
And I second the notion of clipping certain things instead of going around or under them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:21 am

Not to over-beat anything, but like justdirtyfun said, use other noises to your advantage as much as you can. My favorite is when hunting marshes when geese and cranes are making a bunch of noise.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:59 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Standing water. If you go slow enough you can be 100% quiet, as long as you don't lose you balance!

:lol: Been there a few times, thankfully haven't fallen yet.

To be quiet in general I've taken my boots off in dry conditions and walked in sox the last 50 yards, made a big difference. Also making little squirrel hops where you take maybe 4-6 quick steps and then stop for some time seems to work as well. Time is usually the biggest factor, extra time and you don't really worry about how long it takes to get in. Other times I sacrifice an hour or more of stand time to be quiet, on a few rare occasions its taken 4-5 hours is entrance and setup for 1-2 hours of hunting but its what you have to do to get close without spooking them. Still remember the one time I hunted for 6 hours but never even knocked an arrow, wind swirled as I was setting my sticks up and a deer busted out of the bed. I proceeded to a plan B and C but it was late and the deer were on their feet so I kept getting busted.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 am

With only one deer at spot x to worry about I find it easier to get through some of the approach. We can't be quiet the ENTIRE time.
Other times I wander around a little bit and then I attempt to be nearly silent. If you stillhunt correctly they can come through an area you just left, DAMHIK.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:26 am

Great old post... Could add to it a little out of origanal context and say that if you have a spot where deer might see your approach you can get by woth both sound and some movement on windy days when everything is blowing around
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:21 am

Definitely wind and precipitation helps. But how you step is a big one for me. I plant my heel first then roll to my toe and take my time. Almost like a still hunting technique. You don't want to stomp. Also with that said- you don't ALWAYS have to wear hunting boots. If I'm not hunting marshes and swamps etc, I will wear more athletic/hiking boots or even tennis shoes on nicer days. Way quieter
Also Ill use sound of cars and in some places where I hunt, ORV's, dirtbikes etc. As much as I hate them in the woods while im hunting, ill use them to my advantage getting to a spot. I've actually seen deer stand there and watch them go by.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:43 am

I was just telling my wife to other day that my favorite part is that final approach! Idk why but I love it

I agree w Michigan Mike too

Heel to Toe, roll your foot. When I'm going as slow as I can, it's about 5sec average amount of time to roll and fully plant my foot.

Do not stress about the crunchy leaves too much! Some of my best hunts were times I thought it was way too loud. Plenty of times Iv went home w my head down on perfect entries and setups. Iv also gotten within 40yards of bucks before they've jumped up, in leaves that sounded like potato chips. Just gotta take your time

Like Mike said - use surrounding sounds to cover the foot steps. When a plane flies over or a car or birds - pick up the pace. That's one reason I like some of my properties a little closer to the city bc I can almost count on a plane flying over every 5-10mins. Depends on the time of day.

The best tip I can give is add 30mins-1hr for hold ups or mistakes, bumped deer, having to slow down, take breaks or even have to re-route. I do that for every hunt and I still feel like I'm running late sometimes. Depends on the terrain.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:51 am

Something I wanted to mention is - Yeah rain days are nice but twigs snap easier and are a lot louder. Riverbottoms are a nightmare. Also, your ground scent will be enhanced and cling to the ground. Depending on how your entry is setup, it might be something to keep in mind.

I'd prefer windy days or at least a steady wind. Plus, I feel a little more confident that deer will be there.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:10 am

No coincidence most of my best hunts in recent years have come around windy conditions and rain. Getting in quiet and the deer moving in those conditions. I think I blew it on a few hunts last year going out warm calm days. I was off work and wanted to be in a tree. Hunting sensitive spots I need to. During the rut is different get out has much has you can
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:33 am

I've started paying more intention to this topic after I started learning from Dan. I realized for some of my set ups it's critical to wait for certain conditions before I hunt them. It doesn't matter how quiet I try to be, if it's dead calm and dry there are just some places I can't get to. I've also blew some hunts I believe by trying to push it in wrong conditions like Hawthorne mentioned. What I've tried to do more recently is have spots ready specifically for those calm dry days that are easily accessible but still a good area, keeping thermals in mind too. That way I can still have options to hunt no matter what the conditions are like.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”