Getting in quiet

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

redsquirrel

Getting in quiet

Unread postby redsquirrel » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 am

What are your strategies for getting in quietly? Giving yourself plenty of time and going slow is obviously #1, but what else do you do or take into consideration? Quiet definitely takes on a new meaning when you are trying to get that close to a bed!

Only hunt certain spots on rainy days or right after a rain?
Only hunt certain spots on windy days to cover your entry?
Wear moccasins/special boots?

I had a couple of spots in hill country this year that I thought I had enough wind to help cover my entry and then I got up on the side of the hill and every step was crunch crunch in the leaves. I will try to hunt those spots after a rain or on windier days next year.

I'm interested to hear your strategies for all areas, marsh, hill country or big woods.

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Getting in quiet

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:55 am

I have raked small paths to stands in the past. Not all the way but when I felt it was imperative to be as quiet as possible. It was alot of work but it really kept my confidence up, and you obviously need to do it in advance of hunting it. When all the leaves are down and dry, you just cannot be totally quiet. Deer hear all kinds of noise in the woods. If they do not smell or see you I believe they pass that noise off as another deer or animal. In the woods sticks break, branches and trees fall etc...
I also try to not walk with a "rhythm". Humans walk like that. Animals just meander and stop frequently then walk different distances. I try to sound like an animal with no place to be....
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:04 am

I don't like the raked path idea, cause you put down scent putting down the trail and other people see it... For me, its hunting with patience and picking the right stands / spots for the right conditions. Wind, rain, soft quiet snow, can all help. But, if you can trail yourself to go really slow the last 75 yards or so, plan your path, step on rocks, bare spots, roots, one step evey 10 or 15 seconds, stop and rest for a long period after making a noise, you should do good... One other tip that has helped me is when I get 100 yards or so from the hunting area to sit down on a log for 5 minutes and settle down before starting the slow approach... Its hard to walk all the way out there fast then change to crawl slow mode... Stopping and resting helps you switch gears.

Lastly, the very hardest to approach quiet save for the right day when it can be done...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:34 am

I have done many things even bush hogged trails on private ground in the summer. I think the biggest thing to remember is; the wind is your friend.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:37 am

Dan pretty much said it all. Nothing to add to that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 am

dan wrote:I don't like the raked path idea, cause you put down scent putting down the trail and other people see it... For me, its hunting with patience and picking the right stands / spots for the right conditions. Wind, rain, soft quiet snow, can all help. But, if you can trail yourself to go really slow the last 75 yards or so, plan your path, step on rocks, bare spots, roots, one step evey 10 or 15 seconds, stop and rest for a long period after making a noise, you should do good... One other tip that has helped me is when I get 100 yards or so from the hunting area to sit down on a log for 5 minutes and settle down before starting the slow approach... Its hard to walk all the way out there fast then change to crawl slow mode... Stopping and resting helps you switch gears.

Lastly, the very hardest to approach quiet save for the right day when it can be done...

I thought I understood slow down and be quiet, because I have heard you and others say it many many times on here, plus watched it in your setup video on youtube....I wasn't slowing down nearly enough...this post clarifies it perfectly.

What do you guys do about low branches? It seems like everywhere I hunt most of the lower brush and trees are about stomach to chest level, I can manuever through them pretty slowly, but they almost always seem to eventually catch on my treestand and make some noise.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:05 am

Quiet as possible of course, but make sure the sounds you do make do not sound like noise humans make. Twice last year I had bucks come directly to my tree. I am very confident they heard the scuffing noise of my sticks on the tree. Situations with dry leaves are best avoided until you have rain or winds to mask your approach.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 am

What do you guys do about low branches? It seems like everywhere I hunt most of the lower brush and trees are about stomach to chest level, I can manuever through them pretty slowly, but they almost always seem to eventually catch on my treestand and make some noise.

I am taking time between steps to scan ahead for the best and quietest path. When branches make a loud noise, stop and wait a while before resuming your approach.

Think about when your in a treestand and hear a branch break from towards the bedding area. At 1st, you get your bow ready and you position yourself for an incoming buck... You wait and stare. But after a couple minutes you start to dismiss it as a squirrel or other creature. After a couple more minutes its completely forgotten... Much like us, deer hear noises all day. As long as it is not steady, and goes away its forgotten about.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 am

What do you guys think of stalking shoes to help reduce the sound?

http://ranchosafari.co/?product=catprow ... o-cart=148

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:41 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:What do you guys think of stalking shoes to help reduce the sound?

http://ranchosafari.co/?product=catprow ... o-cart=148

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Sure those could be nice for the last 100 yard approach. Always amazed how quiet a bear can sneak in with soft pads on their feet. :o
Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:14 am

Call me crazy, but if it's crunchy I may "walk" in right at the point of light where I can just barely see. I'll not run, but instead quickly walk trotting my feet (tip toes) at a pace like a trotting deer would.

Quiet is great, but think outside the box and try out some crazy ideas. I can't count the amount of deer I have had come running to me simply by making myself sound like a deer. In fact, I used this "trotting" technique the day I killed my biggest buck. As I was walking in another deer ran across the trail. I got sat down and it did what any smart deer would do (circled down wind) and left blowing. Shortly after I rattled hoping to use the other deer's presence as some sort of decoy and my buck came quickly walking up the holler 30 minutes later.

Of course I had almost the EXACT same thing happen on Oct. 19th when I missed a 4.5+ but instead on that day I was walking on crunchy leaves attempting to be quiet. I was late getting there and it was almost about to get light out as I started towards my stand (short walk-50 yards from trail and I parked only 100 yards away) I jumped a deer bedded by my stand and it took off blowing. That was about 6:45. I climbed up real quick and heard it come back. At 7:05 he came through (not sure he was the one I jumped or no) and I made the inexperienced mistake of not checking for small limbs in his direction before aiming through my peep.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 am

Standing water. If you go slow enough you can be 100% quiet, as long as you don't lose you balance!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 pm

I suffer from this BIG TIME. Taking the time to slow down on the final approach. Not sure how you guys deal with buck thorn. It always grows right on the edge of the marsh surrounding the good trees lol

whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:00 pm

One step every 10-15 seconds is tough and you definitely have to budget an extra 30 minutes at least to get to your stand with this approach. I thought I was walking slow enough, but when Dan posted 10-15 seconds, that puts things in perspective a bit. I HAVE TO WALK SLOWER I guess. LOL!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:50 pm

This is one of my toughest challenges. Most of my hunting is in the mornings, on dry upland areas. I have all but given up on being very quiet and know I have suffered from it. One thing I have tried to do recently is to walk in a deliberate toe-heel cadence to mimic 4 feet walking through the woods relaxed instead of two. If I can slow down, I find that I pick my steps better and sound more like a deer walking. Have had less deer spook and more deer moving around me in a relaxed manner.

Justin85 wrote:I suffer from this BIG TIME. Taking the time to slow down on the final approach. Not sure how you guys deal with buck thorn. It always grows right on the edge of the marsh surrounding the good trees lol

Thank goodness I dont have that to deal with! Small blessings! lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”