Ticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Ticks

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Bighunt got me thinking about ticks in another post. How many ticks to you generally get in a year of outdoor activity? I usually find a hundred or more on my clothes and a few on my body. I have had two cases of lymes disease. Which is not fun!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
fishlips
500 Club

Re: Ticks

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Spring, I find tons and find even more on my dog. Fall seems to be less, but fall is the only time I have found ticks embedded in me.

They suck.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Not very many. Less than a dozen during summer. I do find a few crawling on me in the fall when out hunting, especially on those warm leeward hills. I rarely wear shorts and I think that helps keep the bugs off too. I got the nasty lyme's disease in 2011 after spending two weeks in the woods. Ticks were super bad that year.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Haven't seen a tick since spring turkey season. Most of the areas I bowhunt I never see ticks.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Each year over a hundred off the skin and countless off the clothes. Permithrin helps big time!

I wrapped up another Lyme disease treatment a few weeks ago. It was a rough November fighting Lyme and poison sumac.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:43 pm

This year turkey hunting Deer ticks in Sw Wisconsin in one area I hunt where ridiculously thick I was brushing them off after that I kept wearing clothes I sprayed and dryed with permithrin which helped alot. Then over by my cabin I had only one on me after a few days of around their with regular clothes. My buddy had two pulled one off his arm within at least half day of it being on it and it got rings went to Dr. got some stuff and never really amounted to much tested negative for lyme twice but never went a 3rd time like suggested. its a part of hunting and outdoor lifestyle but I will be treated more clothes. A few years ago in the same area It wasn't nearly as bad I feel its getting worse but maybe it goes in cycles.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

I seldom see them in Michigan.. In all my hunting career ive had 2 on me.. both during turkey season.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I pick hundreds of seed ticks off of me through out the year there's a few places I hunt in Oklahoma that I get covered with those little things. They are hard to see too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:42 pm

I can't remember the last time I picked a tick off of me or found one in the truck or house. It has to be at least eight years.

I treat my clothing with a permethrin based spray and when I hang a deer in the garage I spray the tarp under it.

Awesome stuff.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 pm

I would say a few dozen. It is very thick and nasty on the ridge I hunt, with perfect breeding grounds for ticks. I have yet to get Lyme's, but have had several times where I thought for sure I had it. Spring/Summer way worse than bowhunting season.
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 pm

I was turkey hunting one time, set up on a Tom and must have sit in a "nest" of dog ticks (the huge ones). This bird was coming in hot...closing distance fast so I didn't budge at all...just had to let em crawl all over me. The bird actually got hung up or what have you, and when I gave up, I got up, stripped completely down, and counted the ticks on my body. (picture that, hey?) I stopped counting at 70 by the way!!! COVERED! LOL!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Where I hunt in West Central WI spring is terrible, probably a hundred or more on my cloths in a three day weekend. This fall was the fewest ticks I've seen in years, but when we get a late fall day in the 70s I will pick them off like spring turkey hunting, and they're all adult deer ticks.

I also hunt SE WI and only see them during spring turkey and more than half are dog ticks.

I stopped using permethrin a few years ago, that stuff works great but I hate having any bug spray on anything so I am now diligent about tucking in cloths and haven't had one reach my skin in years (knocking on wood now).
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Late spring scouting and turkey hunting is usually the only time I get any. Never had a problem during the bow season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Lots of them. I hate ticks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:32 pm

No many... Maybe 1 or two. I use repel tick repellent I think it is. It's unscented. In a red can. I'd heard there's a new disease ticks are carrying that if you get it, it makes you allergic to all red meats.

This tells about it.

http://www.m.webmd.com/allergies/news/20140813/tick-bites-red-meat-allergy

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”