bucks near parking lot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

bucks near parking lot

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Dan and any others, when hunting deer that are bedding in remote locations that are near roads and parking lot do you think that a mature buck beds here regardless of wind? There is a deep erosion ditch that he is bedding near. There is a ton of sign in this area so I know it's being used a lot but tomorrow the wind switches and has me thinking. I can't see how wind would give him any advantage in this spot as i think he uses his ears cause it is so thick in this area nothing could approach him from either side without him hearing it. He has to smell hunters as the trail that leads to the woods where everyone goes is less than 120 yards from the spot he is laying. I know Dan killed one near a parking lot and would like to hear any others experiences in this situation. I have my own thoughts on it and I'm set on going in after him tomorrow but thought that it could be interesting to hear others thoughts... don't want to post actual map but here is a drawing of the property that is similar to this spot. Where he is bedding is a flat nasty thicket which will be tough to get an arrow through.
Green is thicket.. Black is parking lot..yellow is hunters trail.. gray is big timber with rolling hills.. red is buck bed with a well used trail..Blue is big waterway.. orange is erosion ditches

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: bucks near parking lot

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:04 am

Think my assumption was wrong, maybe wind does have something to do with how he is bedding. He moved on farther back on me today and I hope he never hit my scent stream. Just when you think you have all the pieces to the puzzle they surprise you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bucks near parking lot

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:11 am

I would have to look at the beds to know if they are wind specific or not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”