Hunting does early in season vs late?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Btoeps74

Hunting does early in season vs late?

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Something I've always thought about. Do you as hunters prefer shooting does during early season or any time throughout the year? I used to be the latter but I'm considering next year taking mine earlier. In our area we have way more does than bucks as is the case in most other areas. Not sure what percentage of the bucks in a given area are killed off during opening weekend with rifle season but I know it's a large number. Now maybe I'm wrong but my thinking lately feel if you shoot a doe after she's been bred, your essentially killing three deer assuming she gives birth to twins. Am I wrong? Any other thoughts on this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Hunting does early in season vs late?

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 pm

I've thought of this as we'll. in my case I will not shoot a doe during the pre rut and main rut. You never know if that next wall hanger is 50 ft behind that doe. I know guys who will doe hunt around Xmas just to have some fun with the guys. Personally I will shoot an early doe but have taken late season does more freqeuntly becuase you are not rushed to butcher it unlike early season and the drag out is easier on cold hard ground of the late season

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:45 pm

late.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Depends how Im feeling on a hunt. There are hunts Ive let does walk, and hunts where I let bucks walk. If Im feeling good about taking a mature doe, I won't hesitate to shoot no matter what phase the season is.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:49 pm

If I was gonna shoot a doe, it would be after my buck tag was filled.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Id rather take em later..its too hot during our early season most yrs.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Usually one doe first weekend, a buck at some point, then another doe.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Btoeps74 wrote:Something I've always thought about. Do you as hunters prefer shooting does during early season or any time throughout the year? I used to be the latter but I'm considering next year taking mine earlier. In our area we have way more does than bucks as is the case in most other areas. Not sure what percentage of the bucks in a given area are killed off during opening weekend with rifle season but I know it's a large number. Now maybe I'm wrong but my thinking lately feel if you shoot a doe after she's been bred, your essentially killing three deer assuming she gives birth to twins. Am I wrong? Any other thoughts on this?

it doesn't matter if you kill them early or late if your thinking about killing three deer. either way, she's dead and won't give birth.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:30 am

It doesn't matter whether its early or late. Either way you look at it you are essentially taking 2 does and 1 buck out of the herd for next year with every doe you kill. So not only will you have less does but also less bucks if you kill your does off. I actually had this same conversation with some guys at work that were complaining about the property they hunt seeing way more does than bucks. In my opinion you will always see far more does than bucks if you are seeing lots of deer on a regular basis. For one does are far more active than bucks by nature. And secondly bucks live in specific places for reasons and will always be in those same "buck" spots. So if the places your hunting dont hold lots of bucks now, you could kill every doe there and still see very few bucks. I guess I always wonder how killing more does will ever make more bucks appear??

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:01 am

Yeah does around are a good thing if you want bucks around... ;)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:14 am

if you shoot em in the late season, isn't that potentially impacting your overall herd numbers? what if that doe was bred during the rut.. and you just shot her out in a cut corn field.. just a thought.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:15 am

As with just about anything, seems situationally dependent. I have properties with fewer does where if I were to take one at all, I would wait until after the rut, because I could very well kill off my rut bait taking one early. Other places with higher doe numbers, taking them early could actually help get bucks moving more if there are too many does anyways. Just have to assess your local populations the best you can.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:22 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:if you shoot em in the late season, isn't that potentially impacting your overall herd numbers? what if that doe was bred during the rut.. and you just shot her out in a cut corn field.. just a thought.

If you shoot them early they are local does,if you shoot them late there is a chance you kill a doe just wintering on your property if you hunt wintering grounds.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:05 pm

In MD you have to shoot two does before you can take your second buck with a specific weapon. Many times I'm shooting does before late season.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:06 am

If I want to shoot a doe I will do it late season any more. I don't like to disturb those buck lures before the rut. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”