Hunting does early in season vs late?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting does early in season vs late?

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:41 am

I shoot does when its convenient while hunting bucks... I never "hunt does". I will take a doe early or late season and continue to wait for a buck, but refrain from killing them if I am onto something real big and believe he is close. Rut is a bad time to shoot does.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:48 am

Early in areas I don't intend to buck hunt. Easier clean up.

Late in areas I'm buck hunting or watching closely for next year. These kills only happen if I think the population is excessive. I hope to harvest 1-2 yet this season in such areas.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:55 am

I see does as bait so we leave them go till late season. But once late season hits it's game on. Every adult for I see I'd fair game . My group has a streak of 8 or 9 years in a toe shooting a for on my bday, January 2.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:58 pm

I've never killed a doe with my flintlock which I use during gun season. I always say I'm going to, but when she walks up I end up thinking about a buck may be following her and don't shoot.

When hunting with recurve I will shoot one anytime during the season if in the mood...but usually don't see many does or have the opportunity around here anymore...until this last wk and that's all I've seen...just had bad luck with them and haven't had the opportunity to shoot. Like yesterday twice I was twisted around looking behind me and slowly move my head around and see a doe has stepped out and saw me turn my head, then stomps and walks back off. Happened twice yesterday. This morning I was on the ground and two came up on me from behind a big tree and didn't see them until five foot from me when they see me. Couple days ago had one of 5 does withing 10yds for over half and hr and never could get a clear shot.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:22 am

I prefer to shoot deer with my bow, so if I get really good and close shot opportunity on a doe I will take it anytime outside of the rut, if I need the meat. I prefer to be rabbit or bird hunting by late December.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:27 am

If I do not get the buck I want I'm going to have six doe tags for January.

Rifle 1st thru the 18th is my zone and then archery.

Only one doe tag is good on KDWP managed ground.....

I want to kill and can em.

Have passed on a lot of deer the past few seasons. Population is good so I will spread the love out around this area. Walking the trap line is getting me in good shape and we can quarter on the spot.
So I can get in there after them and not worry about having a heart attack dragging out.

I may do a thread on the January doe hunt.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”