food approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

food approach

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 am

Found a spot recently in a marshy area. Spot has a lot of big buck sign and very few good trees to set up in. About 60 yards from the bed is a huge white oak tree. Bed sets up well for a south wind. I am wondering if you guys have noticed bucks approaching food with the wind in their face. In this instance he would have to head north out of his bed and then walk through a brushy point where he could get the wind in his face (assuming a south wind) before he approached the food.

Reason I think he would do this is that there isnt a very huntable tree he would pass to do this and after thinking about how I found the sign it seems like he is kind of j hooking to the oak instead of walking directly to it like one of the trails would lead me to believe.

So in general have you guys noticed older bucks manuevering to get the wind in their favor to approach food?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: food approach

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:30 am

I usually see them J hook it just like a bedding area with a cross wind
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:26 am

The bigger question is are there any white oak acorns left there? They can be the first to drop, and they are definatly the first to get eaten.

Or maybe this is for next year? Do what Dan has done in the past. Wait for the perfect day where the buck beds on a wind, and go on a day that the wind direction changes mid day and move in for the kill.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 am

I don't think wind direction has much of a bearing on heading towards food, on the occasions I see them use wind or thermals its right at the food source, not on the trail to it. Hut the trail when the wind is in the direction that puts the buck bedding there... Like Spy said, remember that spot on a year when that tree has a good crop.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 am

dan wrote:I don't think wind direction has much of a bearing on heading towards food, on the occasions I see them use wind or thermals its right at the food source, not on the trail to it. Hut the trail when the wind is in the direction that puts the buck bedding there... Like Spy said, remember that spot on a year when that tree has a good crop.

Maybe I see them J hook the food when they know a hunter has been present.... ME! :lol: :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I might be overthinking this one.

I just got to thinking after I got home that I initially found the sign north of the bed, which is the area that I was thinking he may use to j hook and scent check the oaks before hitting them. I guess it's more of a case of second guessing my in field scouting. When I was out there, I just took the most obvious trail and what I thought he would do, but then started to think again about where the sign was and how the deer may be using the area.

It sounds like I need to just hunt it and find out. Excited to see what it might produce next fall.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

ucky,

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Bucky wrote:
dan wrote:I don't think wind direction has much of a bearing on heading towards food, on the occasions I see them use wind or thermals its right at the food source, not on the trail to it. Hut the trail when the wind is in the direction that puts the buck bedding there... Like Spy said, remember that spot on a year when that tree has a good crop.

Maybe I see them J hook the food when they know a hunter has been present.... ME! :lol: :lol:

I have seen it to Bucky, like always circling and entering from the lowest point in a field most likely cause falling thermals draw all directions to that point, but I don't see it with a lot of consistancy. Just in certain spots or because of certain pressure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”