Can mature bucks tell when gun season is looming?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Can mature bucks tell when gun season is looming?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Deer definitely know in heavily pressured area's. I have seen it many times. Does and bucks. Right before gun season there is an explosion of human activity and they immediately vanish into thin air. I think the older deer know what is going on because they have been through it before and recognize when such a big change occurs that time of year what is about to happen. Some off the younger deer follow suit and some (especially yearlings) break off from any older deer they have been around and continue to do what they want. Which usually results in their death.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:16 pm

There is a reason we sit and the bucks walk. If we walk then the bucks sit, pretty simple.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:28 pm

There can be all kinds of deer activity until the day before the opener when all the campers and tents show up. That night all the deer move to their hide outs and after daylight it's hard to find a fresh track anywhere. I go back where there was hardly any sign and I will see 2-7 bucks opening day in an area many people go years without ever seeing a buck.

I have to stay all day and I have be careful how much I move because I will be covered up in deer and if I spook any I will hear shooting within a minute or two of them getting out of my sight.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 am

Bird and squirrel seasons poison the woods w/scent...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:52 am

your findings are similar to mine .....a day or two before gun opener in Wisconsin, my cameras always have 2 or 3 bucks show up that I've never seen before or have seen earlier in the season...

the day before opener 90% of GUN HUNTERS are out looking at their stands, putting stands up and making sure there blinds are good (AT LEAST IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS)! I drive around the day before opener and I see 50 plus trucks out and parked on roads. this was before you could bow hunt the day before opener. yes there's a lot of intrusion during the 3 week rut bow season,but not even close to the number of hunters that step foot in woods during gun hunting. I don't think deer know that gun season is near but they defiantly know something is up from the sudden intrusion of scent and run ins with people checking stands, cameras, and blinds...im sure this is common unless you have a lot of acreage with no pressure
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:54 am

Stanley wrote:There is a reason we sit and the bucks walk. If we walk then the bucks sit, pretty simple.

spot on
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”