Satisfied with your 2014 season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: Satisfied with your 2014 season?

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 pm

I had a good season, but being my first season living here I need to accumulate more good spots. Sat a lot of average spots I lacked confidence in, scout scout scout.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm very satisfied with my bow season. Started out very slow but ended with the most exciting day I ever experienced on stand. My goal was to kill a bigger buck than last year so I would call my season a success.

Gun season is a different story due to tough conditions and lack of deer. Had fun anyway and that's really all that matters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Extremely--three bucks and a doe. It was my best season in many years. However, I am quite a realist. My season was far more luck than skill. Had I been relegated to public land like I was supposed to be the outcome would have been much different I am afraid.

chris
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Yes...I shot 2 Doe's and ended up passing several nice bucks the biggest being in 130's I took some phone pics and videos of passing bucks. I blew a chance on huge public land buck will post something on that I feel it's a great story no matter outcome.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 pm

I some what satisfied with this season. Although I switched Public land spots right around Thanksgiving. I did manage to see four bucks likely in the 1 teens range. Haven't put one on the ground there yet. I got one on the ground down south at the lease. He was probably a 110 or so. I saw 4 other bucks there too. All an all not a bad year, just not a real shooter yet.

Going to the camp this weekend try my luck in one of my favorite spots for late season.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Very disappointed. I have not learned anything new about the buck I've been after for the third season. I have also been lazy at times, over hunting my easy to get to areas and not hunting my harder to get to areas. I started a new job which severely impeded on my hunting time during the rut. I have passed on 3 nice bucks I could have killed if I chose to (130s to 140s) and because I wont shoot a doe with yearlings, I haven't even gotten a doe yet!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Had a great year on the public. Killed a typical 12 with my bow even though the coyotes got to him before I could. Killed a nice 9 point in rifle season. Still at it here late season with just a few hunts left to go. After every buck though I'm always thinking about the next one so I still have the drive for another one but this late season has been tough with the temperatures.

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Pretty much. The highlight was my IA,MO trip. I hunted 4 farms total that I chose from ariels on the fly. Seen good deer and was fortunate enough to have success. KS was tough. Mon phase and warm weather, didn't help. At least got the wife one.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 pm

In terms of seeing and killing good bucks this has been by far my worst season in quite a while.

But I am very satisfied that when i had a shot opportunity, i was able to seal the deal, and like JM said I am happy with my time, effort, strategy etc...

This is hunting, not killing. If it ain't fun/satisfying either change it up or hang it up. IMO

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Happy I got a deer.

Not happy that I wore down so bad that I missed most of November and the rut.

Not happy that I cannot figure scouting out and put 2 and 2 together yet (I know you guys are tired of hearing it).

Happy I got a device that will enable me to get to more places.

Happy to see all the cool things in the woods.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Very disappointed. I have not learned anything new about the buck I've been after for the third season. I have also been lazy at times, over hunting my easy to get to areas and not hunting my harder to get to areas. I started a new job which severely impeded on my hunting time during the rut. I have passed on 3 nice bucks I could have killed if I chose to (130s to 140s) and because I wont shoot a doe with yearlings, I haven't even gotten a doe yet!

Wow , ! A 140" buck is not big enough for you ? Wow. Wow

hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm disappointed but I enjoyed my time for the most part being in the woods and had a fun season. I admittedly had a lack of real effort this year and it showed. I started a new job in February and had some family health issues that kind of took my attention this year. I never really got focused or excited like I normally do but that's okay. I realized it's not all about my deer season this year.

On the good side, I decided to hold out for a certain caliber deer and followed through with it to the end. No I did not end up shooting one but I saw him and knew he was there. I blame my lack of effort on not getting a good chance at him after the first encounter. I had limited time to hunt with my oldest son due to basketball but went to every game I could and am so glad I did. You can't get that time back.

I'm already making plans and getting maps to spread out a little bit more and hunt more public land (thanks to this site!). I've really enjoyed following everyone's stories on here through the season and want to say thanks for taking the time to share your stories and lessons learned. This is a great site with great people and it has really changed the way I approach hunting. ;)
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Satisfied with some aspects and unsatisfied with others. Had more big buck sightings this season than ever before which was extremely satisfying. But need to provide myself with more hunting hours (saving up vacation time) and more in-season scouting.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Had a great year.. many things to improve on. Many things learned.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:02 pm

dan wrote:I am satisfied... But, im not hard to please. I got an early September public buck, and a a mid-October buck, and blew a easy shot on a public rut buck. I am a little dissatisfied with my stamina... But, it was an improvement from last year.

Physical? Mental?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”