Some Guys Will Never Be Great Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: Some Guys Will Never Be Great Hunters

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:22 am

Hunting bucks is just like playing poker- some win with luck, some buy the cards, some play well with bad hands, others don't get bad hands....... So on and so forth. If I was as good with bucks as I am with analogies I would have a TV show.

there are some very good hunters sprinkled around NY. But how do you measure who's good? Numbers, inches,age, willingness to hunt outside of the state.... You just can't. The more I've climbed into the dark chasm of trying to raise and kill Giants in this state (let alone the now sporadic travel for deer with a family) I would rather be a happy hunter than a "good one". I judge myself and others. I am judged by what I've killed in the past not what I've passed or consistently tackled. We have linked fame with skill but neglected to see this sport is more of a business than hobby ... Especially outside of this forum

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Modesty is a trait of a great hunter. Cockiness is a trait of an idiot.

If you think you have a reason to be cocky, you think what you are doing is hard. If you have modesty, you are so good at what you do you realize how easy it is and that you have nothing to brag about.

It's like guitar players.. Guy #1 learns a song and brags that he can play a hard song and usually plays it sloppy. Guy #2 doesn't see what all of the fuss is about because playing it is no problem to him.

I've noticed most of the cocky deer hunters are hunting in places that have easier hunting.

Careless-terrible hunter
Clueless-average hunter
Cocky-slightly above average
Confident-good hunter
Modest-great hunter

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Did I mention that I am modest?

:P

And Handsome?

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 am

Some are great communicators and some are not.
I'm slightly good-looking, but I am damn sexy...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:46 am

Modesty and many of the other attributes we have attempted to stitch on the "great hunter" label have nothing to do with how good a hunter is. These notions are character traits, reflections of personal values if you will. I think that it would already be tough to define what the threshold for greatness is from a hunting standpoint. I'm sure we all have different notions of where that is. I believe that it's a little silly to try and apply character type qualities to help define greatness in a skill set based activity such as hunting.

For example, great welders/machinists/mechanics, soccer/football/baseball/hockey players, engineers/surgeons/physicists, etc... Are great regardless of whether they're selfish, cocky, belligerent or even downright scumbags. The unfortunate truth is that a hunter who can routinely bring home his quary where others struggle is great simply by juxtaposition or comparison if you will (for that quary, in that context). He doesn't have to be modest, selfless, honnest or any of those qualities. That's what makes them a good person, which Is completely unrelated to his particular hunting skill set.

Despite this, clearly a good person who has mastered a useful or desirable skill set will always be more valued and appreciated than one who is lacking those "extra qualities", for good and obvious reasons.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”