Some Guys Will Never Be Great Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Some Guys Will Never Be Great Hunters

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:21 am

Bucky wrote:There was a show a few years back, I think it was a redhead/basspro sponsored show, where they took four celebrity hunters and put them on a property they weren't familiar with and I think they gave them a week to kill a buck. I remember it was Bob Folkrod, Pat Reeves and two other guys. I think Folkrod was the only one that shot a buck. I wish I could remember what it was but it was pretty entertaining. I would watch for sure.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

It was held in Shawano Cty... most struggled to shoot a doe to EAB. Celebrity hunters rarely choose WI as a destination to hunt...

[ Post made via Android ] Image[/quote]

Probably a dumb question but why don't the shows pick WI as a place to hunt? There are outfitters up around buffalo co and it seems like they almost always are hunting with an outfitter.

I dont watch much for hunting on tv being we canned cable, but when I did, I cant recall a hunt shot in WI.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:30 am

fishlips wrote:
Bucky wrote:There was a show a few years back, I think it was a redhead/basspro sponsored show, where they took four celebrity hunters and put them on a property they weren't familiar with and I think they gave them a week to kill a buck. I remember it was Bob Folkrod, Pat Reeves and two other guys. I think Folkrod was the only one that shot a buck. I wish I could remember what it was but it was pretty entertaining. I would watch for sure.

It was held in Shawano Cty... most struggled to shoot a doe to EAB. Celebrity hunters rarely choose WI as a destination to hunt...

Probably a dumb question but why don't the shows pick WI as a place to hunt? There are outfitters up around buffalo co and it seems like they almost always are hunting with an outfitter.

I dont watch much for hunting on tv being we canned cable, but when I did, I cant recall a hunt shot in WI.

There are no shortage of WI hunts. I've seen a lot of mainstream hunting celebs go through Bluff Buck Outfitters in Buffalo County.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Spysar wrote:Everyone here reads what Dan does. Why isn't everyone killing deer like Dan? All the info of how to do it is here......

Reading and really understanding it is totally different. I preach things to friends never truely understand no matter how much one explains or shows. You have to have "it" to understand and use the information. IMO

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Google comet creek.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:15 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:

Google comet creek.

The land Comet Creek is selling is the old "Tiger Ridge" land (i.e. Tigerton lumber Co land).
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 am

Pick a spot of public you have never set foot on at random.

Then go there and kill a mature deer at close range.....then do it again.

See how good you are.

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:52 am

Comet creek is a spin off of Tiger ridge, what Greg Duerr started.

Jerry Ort (owner of Tigerton lumber company) seen the success of what Greg started and with his son Jerry Jr and Rick liebman (sp) started Comet Creek. Tiger ridge is still active.....not leasing but as a group of landowners.

Anyway.....there is a link on the comet creek website when the celeberty contest took place. (I have some difficulty posting links from my phone)

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:55 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Comet creek is a spin off of Tiger ridge, what Greg Duerr started.

Jerry Ort (owner of Tigerton lumber company) seen the success of what Greg started and with his son Jerry Jr and Rick liebman (sp) started Comet Creek. Tiger ridge is still active.....not leasing but as a group of landowners.

Anyway.....there is a link on the comet creek website when the celeberty contest took place. (I have some difficulty posting links from my phone)

Comet Creek is huge. Last I heard they were well over 20,000 acres...nearly 10x the size of the original TigerRidge
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:38 am

Believe it or not I pitched the idea to Jerry Sr years before tiger ridge formed. Jerry isn't a hunter and didn't think guys would pay that much for a lease. (The difference to take property from nfl open to closed)

Greg purchased his tiger ridge land from Jerry on a 5 or 6 year plan. Greg had a vision and worked. I belive he kept approximately 600 acres for himself.

Basically because of their decisions a lot of land that was open to the public became closed and rubbed people the wrong way.

If folks didnt like their decisions they should have bought it themselves. Jerry spent millions when he purchased Tigerton lumber co. Almost 20 years ago.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Believe it or not I pitched the idea to Jerry Sr years before tiger ridge formed. Jerry isn't a hunter and didn't think guys would pay that much for a lease. (The difference to take property from nfl open to closed)

Greg purchased his tiger ridge land from Jerry on a 5 or 6 year plan. Greg had a vision and worked. I belive he kept approximately 600 acres for himself.

Basically because of their decisions a lot of land that was open to the public became closed and rubbed people the wrong way.

If folks didnt like their decisions they should have bought it themselves. Jerry spent millions when he purchased Tigerton lumber co. Almost 20 years ago.

Very cool. Thanks for the "Rest of the Story"

I knew the property well. I think Greg only kept the about 360 acres, but he definitely kept one of the best pieces. Jerry owns (and leases) the other good piece. Most of the remaining lease property on Tigeridge is relatively poor mature buck habitat IMHO. A lot of relatively open maple ridges.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:26 am

^ I saw pics of the bucks they were shooting the first few years after purchase .. mostly 2s and 3yr olds... nothing that impressive for a couple mil!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:08 am

Yes not many truely great bucks shot on tiger ridge. There was a 120 or 125 minimum but guys were plowing mist from 110 to 130. A 140 wasnt too common.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:51 pm

A great hunter will walk a fine line between confidence and cockiness. They know their good and confident but when they cross the line to cockiness they will get a piece of humble pie everytime.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:35 am

Hawthorne wrote:A great hunter will walk a fine line between confidence and cockiness. They know their good and confident but when they cross the line to cockiness they will get a piece of humble pie everytime.

Well said!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 am

where you hunt does make a big difference. When I lived in Montana it was easy to use snow to learn buck bedding sites and their prefererd travel routes to those bedding areas. Where I now hunt in N Texas, you seldom if ever get snow and it is far harder to determine actually bedding areas - at least for me. I could learn more in one weekend using snow to track or backtrack deer then I can in several seasons down here. Also, the midwest it is far easier to locate food sources as there are plenty of crop fields. Down here - about the only crop source is acrons and a few wheat fields that are almost always private land. With the drough the acorns have been iffy last five years and wheat is grown only in specific areas. The deer tend to browse on natural browse 90% of the time and that can change daily depending on season and pressure. In Montana and mid west states I have hunted it is pretty easy to get set up on 140+ deer pretty regularily - even on public land. In Texas, on public land, you are going to have to do a lot of scouting to find and hunt 140" deer - and even then the odds that a dove hunter or some other archer blows your set up is very high as there just is not much public land here. And knociking on doors to get permission - doesn't happen in Texas - hasn't for a few decades.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”