Deer age picture progression. (Interesting)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Deer age picture progression. (Interesting)

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Seen this on another site. Thought I would share.

http://whitetailoverload.com/watch-spik ... buck-pics/

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
PLB
500 Club

Re: Deer age picture progression. (Interesting)

Unread postby PLB » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Pretty neat but I always find it amazing how people can say that a little spike is the 2.5 year old 8 pt. the next season?? :think:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I think we argued about this deer already.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Interesting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Very interesting! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 pm

IMO antler size is not a good indicator in judging the age of 1 and 2 year old bucks. I mentioned this in another thread recently, but a couple years ago I saw a fawn with spots and winter hair in November. The next year he was tiny bodied with MAYBE 2" spikes. I don't think there's a chance in **** he made it to 100" as a two year old, but some people think every 80" buck is a yearling. An early/late birth date is a major factor in antler size in a buck's one and two year old years. There's no way you can tell what they'll grow into when they're that young.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:15 am

Interesting for sure, thanks for posting.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am

I liked watching his facial an body features change. Wasn't paying a lot of attention to the antlers. Antlers are genetics, diet, an health for the most part. Also it would not supprize me if that deer was raised in an inclosure.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

I don't have much faith in Charles A, and this "proof" is another reason. There is no "proof" that the deer is the same deer in each pic.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 am

Why is the deer bigger at 3 than 4? And at three the deer doesn't have much white around the top of the eye, and the 4 has a big white ring around it's eye? And how does he know that spike turned to that 8 one year later. It's impossible to know, and I call BS on this series of pics. The only study I would believe is tagged wild deer, that would be real proof.

I do however believe that a spike can turn B&C given time.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 am

You do have a point. When I start looking back at them.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:31 am

Spysar wrote:Why is the deer bigger at 3 than 4? And at three the deer doesn't have much white around the top of the eye, and the 4 has a big white ring around it's eye? And how does he know that spike turned to that 8 one year later. It's impossible to know, and I call BS on this series of pics. The only study I would believe is tagged wild deer, that would be real proof.

Agreed. There are no significant features to identify it is the exact buck from 1.5-2.5. I always wonder when people told me they have been watching a deer since he was a yearling how the heck they would know. Exceptions are a deer with oddball features. I am currently watching a 2.5 year old who had narrow antlers and 11pts as a 1.5 yr old. It is very easy to identify him because of the unique characteristics. But a Spike? Really?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 am

JROD157 wrote:
Spysar wrote:Why is the deer bigger at 3 than 4? And at three the deer doesn't have much white around the top of the eye, and the 4 has a big white ring around it's eye? And how does he know that spike turned to that 8 one year later. It's impossible to know, and I call BS on this series of pics. The only study I would believe is tagged wild deer, that would be real proof.

Agreed. There are no significant features to identify it is the exact buck from 1.5-2.5. I always wonder when people told me they have been watching a deer since he was a yearling how the heck they would know. Exceptions are a deer with oddball features. I am currently watching a 2.5 year old who had narrow antlers and 11pts as a 1.5 yr old. It is very easy to identify him because of the unique characteristics. But a Spike? Really?

x2. As far as a buck being smaller or near the same size thru their 4.5 to 7.5 age range... I read an article once that said bucks that hold their antlers super late will have suppressed growth the next season, and they won't be at full potential. A friend of mine had a nocturnal buck on camera that didn't really change much from 3.5 to 4.5. That winter was fairly mild temperature wise and he held his antlers late into the year. Obviously, they start the healing/regrowing process as soon as they shed. The next year the temps were super cold in December and he shed early. Also there was a standing corn field near by where he had an unlimited food supply all winter. He exploded and gained around 30" of antler as a 5.5. IMO there are a lot of factors that come into play regarding antler size/characteristics from year to year. I do especially agree about identifying from 1.5 to 2.5 year old years.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 am

Identifying from 1 to 2 can be done tho... a few years ago I had a buck with a super dark chocolate rack that I had trail camera pics of when he was 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5. There is no doubt in my mind it is the same deer all three years. I should see if I can find those pics I probably have them stored somewhere. It's pretty cool to watch him grow. He started as a perfectly symmetrical fork, then grew into a 100" perfect 8, then in his 3 y.o. year he was a 115-120" nine point. I couldn't wait to see what he looked like at 4 but he must have got shot by the neighbors.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:43 am

I'm a newbie. Interesting post. My thought on the differences in the antler characteristics (typical/non-typical; larger @ 3 than 4 yrs') could be because of wet or dry years. When I lived in Montana this was easier to see. Especially with elk. If there were 2 or more dry years in a row antler growth, especially mass would really suffer. The first year with normal or better precipitation even the 2 year old bulls showed way more mass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”