Snow. Mountains. Guns. Bucks. Christmas.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Snow. Mountains. Guns. Bucks. Christmas.

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 am

This is what it's like hunting late season in Mass. These are some old pics I had.

*note* I use whites in snow but Mass requires orange

After I shot this buck an old guy found me while I was leaving and gave me this pic.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Ok guys. I am at my wits end and this is pretty much my last attempt to figure this out. I would really appreciate if anyone could throw me a bone here...

I want to hunt in the future, maybe next season or the one after. I want to do it Christmas-New years week. I want to hunt with a firearm (rifle, shotgun or ML). Would love for a chance of fresh tracking snow. I want to hunt a large mountainous piece of public. I am open to NW GA, AL, Carolinas or Virginias. Possibly MO but that is getting to be a long long drive. I would prefer somewhere that does not allow deer dogs.

I have spent hours searching dnr sites and maps and regs and can't seem to put this together. Feel free to PM me with any ideas or leave comments here, any help greatly appreciated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

deer season is closed in WNC during the time you are looking at.

Our season closes the second Saturday in December.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Thanks for all the replies and PMs.

I am now taking a good hard look at Maryland late ML, I think I may have found what I am looking for...

I have that also as an option!
I've done some good research on Maryland the last few years and will likely give it a try some day but likely early season.

My experience tells me for late seasons anywhere; that if you don't know where the food sources are or if you don't care to bait, then it's a real tough hunt!!!

The year I went to OH - two other buddies went to either Delaware or Maryland...?
Lots of people scored bucks and didn't see much other than small deer (nothing mature) during the Jan hunt...

Look up Moondude posts, he had some real corkers!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Spy, awesome pics but I had to quit looking before I became depressed. This concrete jungle is enough to drive a man mad.

sethg wrote:deer season is closed in WNC during the time you are looking at.

Our season closes the second Saturday in December.

Yea, that's a real bummer because Pisgah would be #1 on my list.

Edcyclopedia wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:Thanks for all the replies and PMs.

I am now taking a good hard look at Maryland late ML, I think I may have found what I am looking for...

I have that also as an option!
I've done some good research on Maryland the last few years and will likely give it a try some day but likely early season.

My experience tells me for late seasons anywhere; that if you don't know where the food sources are or if you don't care to bait, then it's a real tough hunt!!!

The year I went to OH - two other buddies went to either Delaware or Maryland...?
Lots of people scored bucks and didn't see much other than small deer (nothing mature) during the Jan hunt...

Look up Moondude posts, he had some real corkers!

Oh I remember Moondude (wonder where he has been). Also a member in D-ware has relayed some stories of some very big bucks, I had no idea those two states had a lot of big deer until last couple years...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Spysar great pics. Looks just like the stuff I hunt in northern WI and MI. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”