Your biggest obstacle to overcome?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Your biggest obstacle to overcome?

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Location and time in that order

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Going the extra money mile to get in a place off the beaten path... I feel I expanded my area this year by alot. ..but not enough. There are still alot of places that r 2 hr hikes n take a compass n a good flash light to get out of.. call It fear or laziness but im still not hunting alot of these areas and I know I should be.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:32 pm

headgear wrote:[glow=red]#1 is time and that won't change anytime soon, 3 little ones keeps a guy very busy that is for sure[/glow].
#2 right now is population, deer numbers are way way down in northern MN so it makes a hard job even harder.

I will echo this challenge Headgear, and I only have 1 little one! It is hard to validate time away from home now...just to spend in the woods to try and kill a deer. But I look at it three ways...#1, a deer killed = food for the family, #2, I need my sanity/getaway and the woods provides that for me, and #3, we were blessed with this beautiful outdoors to enjoy, so I try to take advantage of that.
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Brad wrote:My biggest obstacle was the lack of being aggressive. That covers many different things but in a nutshell I no longer sit back and hope things happen, I dive right in and go after what I want. When I walked through the woods before, I aways worried about spooking them and as a result set up further back, and saw little bucks and does. Now I go in until my mind says don't go one step further, and now I go a little further and push the envelope. I get busted every now and then but most of the time I am seeing and having shots on larger antlered animals.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

This sums it up well for me. I've killed as many mature bucks in the last four years as I had my entire life before. I think I watched too many TV shows and read too many articles featuring a hunting area I would never hunt. I was afraid to hunt where the most deer activity is and would never go near a bedding area. Now when I notice a pattern I hunt it, and amazingly hunting where the deer are gets me shots at deer.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Overcome obstacle- Breaking free from how I was taught as a kid (sitting in wooden stands that were established back when Lincoln was chopping down cherry trees)
Current Obstacle- time and trespassers
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 pm

This year would be my torn ACL & MCL. "Can't kill'em from the couch..." :angry-cussingblack:
Sometimes in season I tend to over think when and where I should hunt, in stead of just trusting my gut.
I would like to scout more off season, so work and other obligations get in the way of scouting ambitions :lol: Maybe one day I'll win the loto and pay myself to scout :think:
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Bucky wrote:Location and time in that order

Bucky, from the looks of your season I would say your location is pretty good. :lol:
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Trailcamaddict wrote:

Bucky, from the looks of your season I would say your location is pretty good. :lol:

No kidding right! :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

oldrank wrote:Going the extra money mile to get in a place off the beaten path... I feel I expanded my area this year by alot. ..but not enough. There are still alot of places that r 2 hr hikes n take a compass n a good flash light to get out of.. call It fear or laziness but im still not hunting alot of these areas and I know I should be.

I feel like this too. I hate going in blind in the dark or leaving in the dark. I always feel clumsy and make more noise. Then since I'm still new to all of this, I feel like unless I know there's a big buck there, it's too much work to go that far. Until I can scout those places and do my homework in the off season I just don't want to hunt that far in. I also hate hunting by myself due to safety reasons.

Right now I'm in the bed finding stage. I'm also thinking a lot about access and wind. I have the time to hunt I just hate not being able to use that time effectively. I sometimes get frustrated not being able to figure things out and in turn get indecisive or I'll sleep in. But I am determined to figure this stuff out so I keep on.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 am

I'll echo the scouting time as well. Managed a fair amount of hunting time this year, but scouting time is harder to come by. Two little ones and a pretty hectic job I'm lucky to be just about as passionate about as hunting. I feel like to make the jump on public that I'd like too, I need to really increase my pre-season scouting time.

In a weird way it's nice to see that everyone seems to have the same issues, but also see that a lot of you are still managing to get it done at an impressively high level. Good motivation. I'm thinking by next year my girls (2.5 and 4 now) should be in a little better spot to get out in the woods with my in the winter and spring which should make for a little more time at least.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:13 am

Learning how to find deer and learning how to use the conditions in order to be set up in a spot that the deer would think they were safe but they were not safe at all... 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:

Last 3 bucks I killed were all different properties/counties in WI

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 am

Getting out of my comfort zone has been challenging, but it is always worth it. I enjoyed public land hunting, but I wanted something better, so I got out of my comfort zone and found it.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 am

It really is that simple.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:20 am

Spysar wrote:

It really is that simple.

I'm screwed!

Maybe eating those slugs/fish for brain food will start making me think of moving again ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”