How long are broadheads good for?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

staywarmguy
Facebook: facebook.com/huntersapron

How long are broadheads good for?

Unread postby staywarmguy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 am

I've always wondered how long I should keep my broadheads. Do they get dull from not being used for a period of time? I've heard they may rust but not sure if that's true... Anyone have any advice?

Stay warm. Hunt longer.
http://www.huntersapron.com
Brad

Re: How long are broadheads good for?

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 am

They do dull over time. I would get a broad head sharpener such as the natures curve sharpener, so you can touch them up. I use slick trick magnums and generally shoot 3-4 deer with each head, with touch ups with the sharpener in between.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 am

I have been shooting the same muzzy MX3's for years. I even practice with them. I just make sure to sharpen them after each use. Only thing I watch for is bent blades due to hitting bones. If I find one, then i buy some new replacement blades.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 am

The blades are good unless they go though ribs. You can tell if the edges get rolled over. When this happens junk the blades and replace them. Other wise touch them up and use again. I see where the innovator of the Slick Tricks heads died and the company has been sold. I hope this doesn't effect the product.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:12 am

You and me both!
Stanley wrote:The blades are good unless they go though ribs. You can tell if the edges get rolled over. When this happens junk the blades and replace them. Other wise touch them up and use again. I see where the innovator of the Slick Tricks heads died and the company has been sold. I hope this doesn't effect the product.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:23 am

If they are not sharp and pointy and/ or you can no longer make them sharp and pointy and/or they do not fly correctly do not use them to (attempt) to kill animals.
Save for practice in you targets...

I went to a seminar on archery years back and remember the example the gentleman presented to the crowd;
1-Shot from a dull broad head and 1-Shot from a sharp broad head into a 4" ball of elastics.
When the gentleman pulled apart each ball of elastics the sharp broad head had something like 37% more cuts than the dull broad head.

Two-things happen (or don't happen) with the dull broad head that come to mind.
1) Dull doesn't cut as effectively and will reduce penetration. (that's kind of two-right there :mrgreen: )
2) Blood will clot quicker with a jagged cut verses a clean cut from a sharp broad head, this can lead to less of a blood trail.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 am

Another thing to keep in mind is the sharpness out of the package, there is a huge difference company to company. Some are not near sharp enough out of the package, that alone after being in and out of a quiver several times. If you are not absolutely afraid of your broad heads they are no where near sharp enough.

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:54 am

I use them until they are shot through my bow. I do not use my regular blades for practice. So basically the first time a blade leaves my bow it is done. I use muzzy replacement blades. I figure the small cost of replacing the blades is one way to pay respect to the deer I'm trying to kill.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:I use them until they are shot through my bow. I do not use my regular blades for practice. So basically the first time a blade leaves my bow it is done. I use muzzy replacement blades. I figure the small cost of replacing the blades is one way to pay respect to the deer I'm trying to kill.

Same here. My test is if the blade can't shave a hair off my arm it's too dull and gets replaced. Dull blades can actually push arteries out of the way instead of slicing them.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:I use them until they are shot through my bow. I do not use my regular blades for practice. So basically the first time a blade leaves my bow it is done. I use muzzy replacement blades. I figure the small cost of replacing the blades is one way to pay respect to the deer I'm trying to kill.

^ this...only Slick Trick 85's.

Also,I've noticed that if an arrow's been in the quiver for a while it's BH is no longer as sharp as it was straight from the package. I replace the blades.

With $2.50/gal gas I spend $5 each time I go hunting. If I can afford that without batting an eyelash,I think I can afford to be anal about having BHs as sharp as I possibly can.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:39 pm

My hunting arrows all have a new broadhead on em.. they get shot once at a deer. After that they r retired to my junk broadhead box. I dont spend a ton on em. I pic up muzzys if I catch em on sale but basically buy whats cheapest n looks like a good solid broadhead. Deer die if u puncture their lungs.. no matter what u do it with. I just make sure they r always razor sharp.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I shoot rage heads and I replace the blades after each kill. I do recycle my arrows though. :lol:
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 pm

Check the expiration date on the back of the package...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:13 am

For me, they're good for as long as the head itself is structurally sound and spins true and I can get the blades back to sharp enough. Very situationaly dependent. May be one deer (or miss) may be many. I used the same Rage for both of my bucks this year. First one was almost entirely a soft tissue hit, so touched the blades up and good to go. Second one went through ribs and needed new blades, but other than that in good shape.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 am

Broadheads will dull slightly over time due to oxidation. This is probably only a factor if your broadheads are scary sharp to begin with though.

This same principle applys to shaving razors. Razor blades do not really become dull from cutting hair. They become duller as they are exposed to water and left to air dry. I can use the same razor blade for up to 6 months at a time if I remember to put the blade in baby oil (prevents exposure to oxygen) versus leaving it sitting on the sink when I'm done using it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”