One hour

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: One hour

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 am

I used to get out with a 1/2 hr left after work. The last hr of the day is a good one don't waste it.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I am almost ashamed to admit it, but this season has been so busy for me that at least 60% of my hunts have been rushed from work to a stand to sit the last hour of daylight!!! HECK YEAH its worth it :)

Good luck
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Yeah...well I made the sit from 3:35 - close and saw a doe with three fawns come through. That's about all, but what a gorgeous evening! Felt good to get out!! Thanks for feedback guys!!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:22 am

Only takes 5-minutes to kill a deer! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 am

get out there and JUST DO IT!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

Me and a buddy were talking the other day about this scenario. We both have had great hunts when you run out quick and don't expect much. Stay stealthy... a quiet entry and 45 minute sit is better than crashing to your stand and having an hour to hunt.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:20 am

mauser06 wrote:An hour is more than enough time!

Friday I found myself with about an hour of light left...I planned to still hunt out a ridge peaking down the side cuts as I snuck along...

I made it about 10 yards into the woods and spotted a buck dogging a doe...I sat down undetected... Within a half hour 8 other doe filtered passed me...

I've always figured it was absolutely useless to sit anywhere and see deer during our rifle season days the pressure was low..the pressure is crazy high in many of the woodlots...we push out nearly every inch..sometimes on a daily basis..the deer know the gig and I don't bother getting out of bed to sit on stand unless its Saturday mornings...I wait till 10 to start pushing with the buddies and when they quit at 3 or 4 I usually quit...

The other day changed my mindset....kinda kicking myself now for all the times I didn't get out of bed for a few hours of hunting..or quit before dark...

Only takes a second for a buck to come by...and I rarely ever see one from my house!

That spot was thick...somewhat secluded..even when we push it the "dogs" usually cut that corner...the day before we loaded that ridge up with deer and that day we didn't push through it at all...they got in there...felt safe and stayed...and moved with plenty of daylight left...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Exactly; an entire season can change in a minute or two.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:50 am

If I didn't hunt one hour stands, I would miss out on a ton of mid season hunting after work on week days. Early and mid October are good times for hunting for me but I am only able to get out during the week after work for an hour or so in the stand because of the shortening amount of day light.

I get out as much as possible for "one hour" hunts especially if it is windy because I can be a little more noisy getting into my stand and move quicker.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”