Mature bucks and flashlights.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Mature bucks and flashlights.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 am

This has been on my mind for years while hunting . Please forgive me if this topic has been posted before. I'm just curious what other hunters think about flashlights while entering and leaving the woods. And which color lights might spook bucks less for morning setups and evening leaving the stand . I use the chameleon flashlight with green beam usually but would red lower light beam be better. Sorry if it's a strange topic this is just one of those things I find myself wondering often.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Mature bucks and flashlights.

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:26 am

im not sure on mature bucks, but I walked on on some does one morning, and then another morning a 4 pt or 6 pt...can't remember, but none of them were scared of the light. I walked up to about 20 yrds on each. Even if they did scare a mature buck, I'd rather be safe than get shot, especially on public land.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 am

Good topic.

I've never had does and younger deer spook or react negatively unless I was up wind and the only mature buck I encountered grunted LOUD from 15 or so yards and scared the crap out of me, I really thought he was going to try and fight me. I just kept walking to try and not alarm him and never heard him crashing through the woods.

That's my very limited experience.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 am

When deer go by me in stand before daylight I always light them up with the flashlight. I've never had a negative reaction that I can remember. Buck or doe. I use a light to get in and out for safety reasons, plus it's a lot easier to stay quiet when you can see what you're stepping on. Color is insignificant IMO.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Depends on how he is bedding...

I had one that no doubt in my mind bedded in a position that he knew when I was there...I was lazy and parked on the driveway...

When I parked out on the road and hiked in I seen him..when I was lazy I didn't..

He just knew if someone parked there they were hunting...whether he could hear me or see me or just my headlights or what I don't know...I know it made a world of difference though...

On the same lines...I think if he can see the light it might keep him from moving or keep him from coming the direction he sees the danger..

I coon hunt...I see a lot of deer at night...one thing I can say for sure...nearly every big buck I've ever shined with a light takes off like it was shot at...and for as much time as I spend out there I don't see nearly the amount of big bucks as I should...compared to does and young bucks...I've had does and young bucks within 50yds of treeing dogs and let me walk right by and let me walk right out when I'm done and never even stand up...

About the only big bucks I see are when I am walking in fields without the light on...the second I hit the light they bolt...

Why? Been shot at by poachers at night? Maybe..but ALL of them that I've ever seen? I don't buy that...even when spotting from a road nearly all the big bucks have the same reaction here...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I point at the ground in areas where I'm worried about other hunters. I would think the light moving as you walk would attract attention to you, which is bad IMO regardless of if deer are afraid of the light because I know their afraid of me.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm

I use a green clip on light that goes on the brim of my had. It has 4 led lights and I absolutely love it. It gives a bright enough throw to see where I am walking and will provide enough light that if someone else is in the woods they will be able to see me. When I see my buddy walking towards me after dark, I can see him but its not as bright as a white light. Only time I use a white light anymore is when I'm trailing a deer or walking in when its super wet and going up/down hill.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 pm

I think it also depends on the amount of artificial light around. Some hillsides have several lights from homes and lots of passing headlights from distant traffic.

I personally don't think they care much about the light itself. The noise, scent and shape that accompanies the light on the other hand...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:54 pm

I always use a headlamp so I won't get shot by some yahoo. Last season I walked right up to a buck camping out on a scrape early one morning in the dark, kind of made me nervous I was under 10 yards and he just looked at me, finally he wandered off.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:10 am

I use mine sparingly and only use the red lens; However, I should use it all of the time considering the stories I've read on here about guys getting shot at before shooting light. Lots of crazy people out there that will shoot first and ask if it was a deer later.

As far as deer, I think they will you see you long before your light makes any difference to them.

I was walking out from hunting Saturday night and there were three deer feeding in the field. I shined the light on them and they just stood there and looked. They also stayed there eating as I kept walking away.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 am

My advice would be to not use a flashlight unless absolutely necessary. Safety would be one reason to use one. You know 100% for sure your flashlight isn't spooking the buck if you don't use one.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 am

My thoughts are if you don't spook him with a light you will spook him without it, keep in mind they can see just fine in the dark , certainly well enough to see a hunter with or without a light. I have had less negative reactions when I use a light, I think it's due to me being quieter, and I'm sure part of it is they see the light but not what's past it, like when you meet a car coming at you at night, unless it's marked you can't see a trailer etc . I do it on all hunts for safety , and I think a big buck will see me and vacate either way, so the best plan is to enter and exit where you have the least impact anyways.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”