DIY hunt recommendations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

DIY hunt recommendations

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 am

My brother recently moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky (Warren County) so I decided hunting for a week down there next year sounds like a good excuse for me to go visit him. This is the south central part of the state. Not trying to take anyones magical spot but I'm just curious if anyone knows of any large public tracts to hunt in the area (say within an hour of Bowling green). I havent had much luck finding any myself, or if anyone knows a friend of a friend that may grant permission to hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post. Also, how is the hunting/deer population/size in that area of the state? I hear alot about the northern parts but not a whole lot about the south central area. Thnx!

186buck

Re: DIY hunt recommendations

Unread postby 186buck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 am

I would check out the LBL (land between the lakes). It may be a little more than an hour but it would have plenty of room to roam.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Check to see what is available along the Cumberland River...Burkesville, Ky. I used to Fly Fish that river almost every weekend when I lived in Nashville, TN. I saw some big bucks along the river and in the beds of trucks during bow season. Beautiful property.
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Have yet to hunt there but hear talk of Ballard WMA 8000 acres , Peabody WMA 45,735 acres
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:32 am

admiral04 wrote:My brother recently moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky (Warren County) so I decided hunting for a week down there next year sounds like a good excuse for me to go visit him. This is the south central part of the state. Not trying to take anyones magical spot but I'm just curious if anyone knows of any large public tracts to hunt in the area (say within an hour of Bowling green). I havent had much luck finding any myself, or if anyone knows a friend of a friend that may grant permission to hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post. Also, how is the hunting/deer population/size in that area of the state? I hear alot about the northern parts but not a whole lot about the south central area. Thnx!

Let me know if you want to split the driving chores? ;)
KY is one of my bucket list items...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:27 am

Pennyrile State forest is close to Bowling Green and is a good place to hunt I have heard. I have never hunted it but some good ones come out of there. The Land between the Lakes is about an hour and a half from Bowling Green I believe (30 minutes from Hopkinsville). That's 85,000 acres to roam, without much hunting pressure during archery season. Deer densities are not as high as the ag ground around it but there are some brusiers there. I hunt there quite a bit. It's a bonus deer also and doesn't count against the state limit.

There are several smaller WMA's close to Bowling Green. You might check the KY State Dept of Fish and Wildlife website. Look under WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas). The have a list of all of them in the state with maps and hunting info.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
admiral04 wrote:My brother recently moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky (Warren County) so I decided hunting for a week down there next year sounds like a good excuse for me to go visit him. This is the south central part of the state. Not trying to take anyones magical spot but I'm just curious if anyone knows of any large public tracts to hunt in the area (say within an hour of Bowling green). I havent had much luck finding any myself, or if anyone knows a friend of a friend that may grant permission to hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post. Also, how is the hunting/deer population/size in that area of the state? I hear alot about the northern parts but not a whole lot about the south central area. Thnx!

Let me know if you want to split the driving chores? ;)
KY is one of my bucket list items...

I will certainly let you know when we have a solid plan

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”