Thoughts on platform step ladder

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beauford

Thoughts on platform step ladder

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:43 am

Ok so I have used step ladders during deer drives in the marsh & cattails, but anybody use them for long extended hunts / bow hunting? I have some spots ( no tress around) I have been thinking about for gun & bow hunting that I think a platform step ladder would work. With bow hunting I could just sit on the platform this would allow for extended sits. With gun hunting I could stand on the platform. I was thinking like using a 5 / 6 foot ladder so I don't stick out over the tall marsh grass or cattails. Anybody use a step ladder for bow hunting or long sits? Any information would help - would this be worth getting during the off season? I know I could ground hunt but I prefer to be off the ground even if only a couple of feet.

christian1
500 Club

Re: Thoughts on platform step ladder

Unread postby christian1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 am

Millenium tripod looks like an intesting stand. It's only 36lbs. Personally I can't imagine spending any length of time standing on a ladder.

chris
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:21 am

They use homemade aluminum tripods in the marsh down here. A 4'-5' would be fairly light.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:52 am

Used on on a hog hunt once but you get skylined bad. For rifle or gun it could work .

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:17 am

I know of many big bucks killed while the shooter was standing on a muskrat house. They give you a good 3 feet of elevation and most times perfect to shoot just over cattails. Not always in the right position I suppose but should not be overlooked if you don't want to haul a step ladder platform around.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 am

cbigbear wrote:They use homemade aluminum tripods in the marsh down here. A 4'-5' would be fairly light.

That looks awesome, i want to make one like that, chop about 3' off the bottom and put a lighter seat on it, would be perfect if you set it up with your back against some brush to reduce your skyline. Is that yours?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:56 am

Here's a older thread that has some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17450
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:43 am

Putting the ladder near brush or small trees to blend in helps. I just sit on the top until I hear the deer coming in the cattails/muck.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:53 am

We used to use 4' and 6' aluminum ladders when we hunted the everglades, which is basically a sea of 5' tall grass. Like dan said, we would just setup next to some taller brush to break up outline if we could.

It works just fine, bring a cushion.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:18 pm

cbigbear wrote:They use homemade aluminum tripods in the marsh down here. A 4'-5' would be fairly light.

That looks awesome! I would love one with a detachable seat and 6' legs. Fit in the bed of my truck and relatively easy to get where needed.

I looked at the millennium (pretty spendy), summit (no longer made), others (too expensive and/or heavy). I have been trying to figure out how to stabilize a ladder like a tripod, but seems difficult.

I need a run and gun "tripod" that will let me get my feet 4 to 8 feet off the ground.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:20 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:We used to use 4' and 6' aluminum ladders when we hunted the everglades, which is basically a sea of 5' tall grass. Like dan said, we would just setup next to some taller brush to break up outline if we could.

It works just fine, bring a cushion.

You have forward and backward stability. What about left and right stability? How do you accomplish that in a step ladder?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:34 am

You have forward and backward stability. What about left and right stability? How do you accomplish that in a step ladder?

Actually, I have more difficulty with the tri-pod designs. The legs on the tripod sink if your out in cattails. They do on the ladder too, but the difference is the ladder has a natural stopping point at the 1st step on each side, so it actually sinks about a foot deep and locks in. Unless there is solid ice. Then its no different than sitting on top of the ladder painting, or nailing like ladders are designed for.
I shot the doe with the ladder sunk in, James shot the big 11 pointer this year with it on solid ground... No stability problems at all. I took 5 shots and he took 6. No different than being in a stand.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:48 am

I use them for stand access sometimes.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:25 am

I think an aluminum ladder would be the way to go if you have to carry it a long distance. I actually just seen a ladder at the electric supply store that comes camp from the factory.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:05 am

dan wrote:

Actually, I have more difficulty with the tri-pod designs. The legs on the tripod sink if your out in cattails. They do on the ladder too, but the difference is the ladder has a natural stopping point at the 1st step on each side, so it actually sinks about a foot deep and locks in. Unless there is solid ice. Then its no different than sitting on top of the ladder painting, or nailing like ladders are designed for.
I shot the doe with the ladder sunk in, James shot the big 11 pointer this year with it on solid ground... No stability problems at all. I took 5 shots and he took 6. No different than being in a stand.

I am going to make a go at it. I will be clearing some brush in an ambush spot and take the ladder out. Let it sit for a week or two and then hunt it. Probably around Christmas time. My spot is slightly elevated from the marshy area. It will be solid ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”