Ever hunt a property where deer are hard to pattern

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Ever hunt a property where deer are hard to pattern

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:09 am

Been hunting this small farm for 3 years and still have never seen a consistent pattern except in summer. Anyone else have this issue?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ever hunt a property where deer are hard to pattern

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 am

I hunt a lot of small farms The patterns change from year to year. Often the patterns cycle every three years. I think it takes more than 3 years to really understand what is going on.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:25 pm

I think the farm I am referring to is, part or a lot of it is due to the crops in certain close by areas not being harvested. Some are harvested and some corn is still standing. Either way, in 3 years, I have never seen either does or bucks follow a reliable pattern after September. In the other areas I hunt which are much bigger, the deer seem to be much more predictable. Not sure why this is. I am seeing that it appears the area is getting more pressure than I originally thought it was but the 42 acres I am hunting isn't getting hit that hard unless people are sneaking in when I am not around. It's a total mystery to me.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:27 pm

42 acres is tiny to a deer. I doubt you will have any type of pattern on acreage that small that is pressured too.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:23 pm

I hunt a piece of public where the deer don't have a pattern. All they do is meander around. I've never found a bed and there is no food source. I've been hunting there for 4 years and I have records of deer all throughout the day all during archery
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 pm

In wolf country deer have learned to not pattern. That is why Trad can't find the pattern. The only slight pattern I ever saw was 1 stand through a cut over. Does run in at 9-10 AM and seem to head to a swamp with hemlocks in it. This is where there are wolves though. Down here I don't see much pattern except 1 hr before dark. They seem more consistent on windy days and cold or damp weather when noone seems to be in te woods. On nice days their pattern is they just hold tight till dark!! Those are the days you are more likely to get one on the way home.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”