Deer Hunting vs Beast Style Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

youngbuck917

Deer Hunting vs Beast Style Hunting

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:39 am

So here is the dilemma I have as a new and up-and-coming hunter. I have only shot 2 deer before and they were both with a rifle. I tryed bowhunting this year and hunted a lot but only saw a few does and one spike buck. I was hunting all public land. I think to become a good big buck hunter I first need to get good at hunting deer in general. Could anyone provide anyinsight as to how to hunt deer in general. Thanks all. I appreciate it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Deer Hunting vs Beast Style Hunting

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:09 am

I would focus your scouting efforts on where deer spend time in daylight hours, which tends to be close to where they bed. Dan's Marsh Bucks DVD and Hill Country Bucks DVD really lower the learning curve for us newbies.

Scout for bedding areas and when hunting them if you want to shoot a doe or buck then go ahead and shoot them. Focus on bedding, especially on pressured land.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:22 am

Spend as much time in the woods as possible. Nothing beats miles and miles of scouting, and there is no substitute for time in the stand. If you want to improve at something usually it takes a bunch of time and effort.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:40 am

My best advice, if you're really at the beginner phase is just time in the field in any context (scouting, hiking, deer hunting, bird hutning, small game hunting etc.), and just read, read, read.

I also find that if I pick up on a new idea or topic and I am unable to get some in the field scouting or hunting in, spend some time cyber scouting pieces you may hunt as soon as something sort of registers with you and try to apply the technique. It functions as a sort of digital practice hunt. Say you read Mapping Trophy Whitetails and the geometry of a saddle just jumps out at you. Pull up some topos and map them out right away.

As far as in the field, I end up in the field for work a lot, usually on tracts that do not allow hunting, but anytime you can study deer in the field, you will, or at least should, learn something. Follow tracks anywhere. My backyard is a 500 acre Forest Preserve that does not allow hunting. I scout and shed hunt back there as much as anywhere and have learned a ton about deer in general doing so.

Challenge yourself to understand why you see every deer that you do, hunting or not. If you see a deer driving home from work, take a minute and hypothesize on why it was there, what it was eating, where it beds, etc. Do the same with sign. Even if you are wrong, or have no way of confirming, it teaches your mind to think like a deer and you will get better and quicker at dissecting patterns.

It's all a big puzzle, and the best part is you'll never fit all of the pieces together on a whole! That's what makes it so addicting.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:52 am

I'd also add, understanding wind/thermals and scent and realizing you will never ever become a successful big buck hunter until you give in to that and realize there are no shortcuts there is probably the key step.

I still know many guys who I believe would be successful if they just gave in to the notion that even one poorly planned hunt from a wind or access perspective can ruin a season, or a spot. I think this is a piece that many people just never get.

All of the scent products certainly don't help. I'm on the fence, in that I think there is some likelihood that some of the products may have some nominal benefit, but they are in now way an excuse to hunt stupid. For example, maybe Scent Lok or Ozonics (I use neither) buy you four yards, which could be the difference between a buck and getting blown out, but assuming they make you iron clad is foolish.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:16 am

Make sure to put some practice time in target shooting with your bow and I suggest not shooting at any deer with your bow that's over 40 yards, regardless. Also practice shooting with your cold weather clothes on. It's sucks when ya wound a deer and don't recover/harvest . Good luck man .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:28 am

What state are you in, and what type of terrain are you hunting?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

Beast style hunting isn't about doing what everyone else is doing really. Every land you hunt is going to have it's own situations that affect deer movement. Pressure, terrain, etc. Take certain tactics you learn here and from Dan's DVDs and apply them to your style of hunting. Scouting the lands you hunt is going to benefit big time. Thinking outside the box is also key. I recommend buying the DVD's to get you in the right direction. Feel free to ask alot of questions here too. Many years of success is at your disposal here. Getting some experience killing deer in general is the way to go also. I just started beast style hunting a few years ago and have yet to really get good at it. It takes a few seasons and time in the woods to get comfortable and gain enough confidence IMO.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Spend as much time in the woods as possible. Nothing beats miles and miles of scouting, and there is no substitute for time in the stand. If you want to improve at something usually it takes a bunch of time and effort.

I agree. Learn the woods in general and the woods you hunt. You'll make a ton of mistakes but that's ok, if you don't make mistakes, you're not doing anything. Besides, it's fun :mrgreen: Don't beat yourself up, just watch and learn.

Also, search for topics here on the Beast for things you want to learn or don't understand. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask questions. People here are always willing to help.

Have fun.. have fun... have fun
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:31 am

You are on the right track being only concerned with deer hunting. Being concerned with bucks right out of the gate is a mistake. The best experiences are those in which you have encounters with animals. Your odds improve dramatically if you understand wind. Figure out wind, and you will see more deer. I had the most difficult time getting a 30 yr old man to understand that a North wind will send your scent to the South and a South wind will send your scent to the North.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:05 pm

I think paying attention to the wind eroding your movement down will help you in season then like many have said scounting in the offseason will really help you understand your land

youngbuck917

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:13 pm

I am hunting marsh, cedar swamp, and hardwoods.

youngbuck917

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Hunting in Wisconsin, By the way. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting from you more seasoned hunters. It means a lot to me.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Scout, scout and then scout some more. Very important to figure out where the deer are and what they are feeding on.

Always keep the wind in your favor when setting up and pay attention to current sign.

If you do both of these you you will be well on your way to tagging your first deer with the bow.

youngbuck917

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:52 pm

What should I be looking for when I am scouting? Tracks, bedsand then where should I hunt when I find this sign? Sorry for the newbie question.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”