Loose Lips Thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rubline

Re: Loose Lips Thread

Unread postby Rubline » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 pm

JROD157 wrote:
Rubline wrote: Concerning your "best" friend, why not fully divulge how you hunted their land, set him up in the right spots, offer to help prep stand sights and recover deer. Help your friend move up the next level in his career...
I believe most serious hunters have more fun scouting, learning, and prepping new spots to hunt, figuring out new bucks to hunt, etc. Remember that they own the property and pay taxes on it. Just my advice for your situation. To me it isn't worth losing a best friend over...help him out and you'll be rewarded 3 fold in the future.

You make a good point and it is well taken. That was my entire thought process years ago when I taught him the layout and the "how to." I left my stands there and he currently hunts them with limited success.
We are still friends, but that is a topic that is uncomfortable.
Another great friend I introduced to the sport has the exact opposite ending. Him and I enjoy many turkey hunts and an occasional deer hunt. I am not sure if this is the right way of thinking or not, but once I feel an individual is suited to start deer hunting solo, I kind of let them be. For two reasons:1) I take it too serious to have someone tagging along on the regular 2) There comes a time where you need to figure out some success and defeat on your own. I guess a third 3) you gotta have some land and time to yourself.

Gotcha...Understand what you are saying. I agree with your three points, people need to experience and learn from their own mistakes.
Learning to hunt by yourself is part of the progression of being a successful hunter. Good luck with your friend and your personal success in the future.

365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:32 pm

The first property I lost permission on was a 250 acre piece I shot my first deer and buck with a gun on. Then I shot my first shooter with a bow (wide as his ears, which was a monster back then) on. My grandpa's 70 acres, he gave permission to a few people outside of family to hunt, which ruined it for big bucks. I no longer talk to a lifelong friend who only owns 5 acres over turkey hunting. He doesn't even turkey hunt. Like the others have said, its only a matter of time til it goes south. The first property I lost permission on was like loosing my first love. Seriously had me depressed for a while. So I know how you are feeling. It happens to all of us. We dont realize that we can loose permission in the snap of a finger. Public is usually more stable but it too fades away. MFL contracts expire, state sells land, voluntary access program ends.

6 years of bucks is a pretty darn good run if you ask me. Is ok to be a little pissed, but get over it, dont let hunting stand in the way of your friendship or you are as greedy as him.

Seems like he is a competitive guy who wants to be as good as you are!
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:25 am

365buckin wrote: The first property I lost permission on was like loosing my first love. Seriously had me depressed for a while.

That is totally how I felt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”