What are you doing right now? LATE SEASON, WARM WEATHER?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: What are you doing right now? LATE SEASON, WARM WEATHER?

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 am

58° here right now, last weekend of rifle season.
12/31 ends buck season..... :whistle:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:31 am

I got two nice bucks bucks coming out of the same bedding area every day... But they don't get to where I can shoot them till after hours. Waiting for some cold and going to check for a good moon day. Running out of time. If they didn't end the season early it would be pretty likely by the end of the year, but with only days left, i WILL NEED TO PULL A RABBIT OUT OF THE HAT.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:51 am

dan wrote:I got two nice bucks bucks coming out of the same bedding area every day... But they don't get to where I can shoot them till after hours. Waiting for some cold and going to check for a good moon day. Running out of time. If they didn't end the season early it would be pretty likely by the end of the year, but with only days left, i WILL NEED TO PULL A RABBIT OUT OF THE HAT.

Good luck Dan! I'm sure you will get a crack at em'
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 am

If anyone can get that done, You can Dan!

8-)
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Dan you probably already know but you can hunt jan. 2nd to 4th after doe hunt for bucks. Will be doing some holiday hunt scouting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:50 pm

I got my bow buck tag filled but my last chance was muzzloader on Wednesday. :shifty: Oh well. I might go tommorrow for doe but most likely will pass them anyway. Just love being in the woods. If the snow holds out my son ( Chas) and I might go to the cabin west of Phillips. He wants to get a yote. I might grous ehunt and scout a very remote part of Sawyer and Price co public land. Then I wlll get back to the cabin , put a steak on the grill and watch deer feed in my yard. Here is a pic from last Saturday .Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:40 pm

kurt wrote:Dan you probably already know but you can hunt jan. 2nd to 4th after doe hunt for bucks. Will be doing some holiday hunt scouting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I did not know that... I checked it out. That might work if I can't get it done before the stupid holiday B.S.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:03 am

I have 3 areas with good food sources. But I am not going to hunt them until conditions improve. I have had some of my best hunting in the late season, but we gotta have snow and cold. When conditions are right I have had good daylight movement but I will have one good chance at each spot and thats it. I am hunting small acreages in farmland where the pressure has been very heavy during the gun season, but come late season I will be the only guy out there.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:29 am

ttsbuck wrote:I have 3 areas with good food sources. But I am not going to hunt them until conditions improve. I have had some of my best hunting in the late season, but we gotta have snow and cold. When conditions are right I have had good daylight movement but I will have one good chance at each spot and thats it. I am hunting small acreages in farmland where the pressure has been very heavy during the gun season, but come late season I will be the only guy out there.

X2... I'm waiting on the weather.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 am

Next 24 hours there looks like a decent drop in temperature here in SE Wisconsin. Tomorrow might be a half day for me; get out and sit on a field edge where I've traditionally had good evening activity.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 pm

I haven't hunted since the last part of Oct. until this past Sat. and Sun. I went with my flintlock. Health problems have had me laying around all that time and was so weak almost killed myself just walking way back in and climbing the tree.

On top of that I decided to try and shoot my bow about a wk ago and pulled my shoulder muscle so just today I decided to shoot my lightest weight recurve..41lbs...about 45lbs at my draw. I was shaky but able to handle the light weight for 8 shots so will use it to hunt for a while.

I missed the whole rut if there was one this yr. The area I was hunting had 10" and 12" trees rubbed all up and when I went back in there with flintlock..didn't see anything..there was still a lot of fresh big rubs and scrape with real big tracks in them.

I will hunt around that area..it's a bedding area on the highest ridge around...now that gun season is over and most people around here don't hunt after that. Probably try to go tomorrow afternoon with the lightweight recurve.

Killed one little cowhorn spike with recurve in Oct. for meat and that's been it this yr so far.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:23 pm

hunter_mike wrote:It is going to be tough hunting for a weekend warrrior such as me. I am going to go ask permission on a private land piece tomorrow morning. I know it is full of deer and i even shined a slob (plus 3 other bucks i would pee my pants for) there this summer. [glow=red]After i get turned down on that[/glow] I will be spot checking a few secluded crop fields to check for standing/stubble corn and hopefully the warm weather allows for some tracks to be left behind. If i somehow manage to find a place that looks good i might even set up a stand and sit. Tough hunting but gotta do it

LOL!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 pm

dan wrote:I got two nice bucks bucks coming out of the same bedding area every day... But they don't get to where I can shoot them till after hours. Waiting for some cold and going to check for a good moon day. Running out of time. If they didn't end the season early it would be pretty likely by the end of the year, but with only days left, i WILL NEED TO PULL A RABBIT OUT OF THE HAT.

Good luck Dan!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 pm

There is snow here. I'm still snow tracking in Mass. I was in shin deep snow yesterday . So far the snow and deer are kicking my but. It snowed a few more inches last night. Now the bottom snow will be crunchy. Just because there's snow doesn't mean it's good snow. Some snow is crunchy as leaves or worse. I have till Dec 31st. NY deer season is officially closed .
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 pm

First snow of the year this morning.....drifts up to 4"..... :lol:

I plan to take some pics since its supposed to be 50° over the weekend.... :roll:

I actually had to mow in the last few days since the grass grew recently.

crazy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”