What are you doing right now? LATE SEASON, WARM WEATHER?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: What are you doing right now? LATE SEASON, WARM WEATHER?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Tomorrow morning is very similar in weather to opening morning of WI's gun season (warm, heavy fog, light SW wind). Therefore, I will hang a stand tomorrow morning exactly where I sat that day, in hopes that I can fill one of my doe tags with the rifle, and get it on film. If successful, I'll probably ice fish the rest of the weekend since archery buck is not open in WI. Could hunt MN but I don't feel confident with any of the public I've scouted around the twin cities. After this weekend I'll go back to hang and hunts with the bow until the seasons bitter end.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:30 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Tomorrow morning is very similar in weather to opening morning of WI's gun season (warm, heavy fog, light SW wind). Therefore, I will hang a stand tomorrow morning exactly where I sat that day, in hopes that I can fill one of my doe tags with the rifle, and get it on film. If successful, I'll probably ice fish the rest of the weekend since archery buck is not open in WI. Could hunt MN but I don't feel confident with any of the public I've scouted around the twin cities. After this weekend I'll go back to hang and hunts with the bow until the seasons bitter end.

WI Archery buck is open thru Dec 23 (opens again Jan 2) in Southern Farmland Units and Northern Forest Zone until end of season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Dewey wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:Tomorrow morning is very similar in weather to opening morning of WI's gun season (warm, heavy fog, light SW wind). Therefore, I will hang a stand tomorrow morning exactly where I sat that day, in hopes that I can fill one of my doe tags with the rifle, and get it on film. If successful, I'll probably ice fish the rest of the weekend since archery buck is not open in WI. Could hunt MN but I don't feel confident with any of the public I've scouted around the twin cities. After this weekend I'll go back to hang and hunts with the bow until the seasons bitter end.

WI Archery buck is open thru Dec 23 (opens again Jan 2) in Southern Farmland Units and Northern Forest Zone until end of season.

Thanks for clarifying. I was only thinking about the Central Farmland.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 pm

PLB wrote:December 26th high in the teens. Lows in the single digits. That's what I'm waiting for.. ;)

Its over in S.E. Wisconsin by that time, we end the 23rd. :cry:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:58 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
Zap wrote:60° here today.

Yea, it was 60* this morning when i woke up, had to crank the heater in the truck. Burr. Thank god it got up into the 70*s in the afternoon so I could take my coat off.

As far as hunting, rut is just getting ready to pop in the better parts of the state, yippee...

When it hits 60 here, we strip down and go to the beach. :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:02 pm

CRK925 wrote:Found myself a mature buck bed last weekend up on a narrow ridge in between two valleys. Acorns all around and standing corn 500 yards away. He used the bed within 3 days of last sunday. Wind is perfect for tomorrow. Never seen him but going in for the kill.

Nice little overlooked spot on public land in the Northern Kettle Moraine here in WI.

P.S. Just want to say hi to Dan. This is Chris, me and my buddy Kevin ran into you on public a few times this year. Finally decided to join the beast.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Welcome to thew BEAST Chris! 8-)
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Stanley wrote:Our bow season is shut down until the 22nd of December. In fact deer season is closed for 2 days and kicks back in Saturday. I am staying home and not going out with the orange army out and about. I don't have any properties that don't have gun hunters. So I'm not doing anything until those guys clear the woods.

I am doing what Stan is doing - keeping my head down - other than that two days between 1st and 2nd shotgun season I got out scouting some and seeing how many dead deer were laying around the public land spots I hunt. I found one good setup for next year and some dead deer and one nice young buck that was immobile and almost dead shot in the rear end :angry-screaming: . There are some really worthless hunters out there.

Iowa late muzzy season starts the 22nd too and runs to Jan 10th. I am excited about it because the warm temps we are having right now should mean bucks will hold their antlers till the end of season this year pretty well (sorry about the tough hunting for you guys right now but thanks!). Late muzzleloader season is typically my time to shine, we will see how much I get out this year.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:12 am

dan wrote:
PLB wrote:December 26th high in the teens. Lows in the single digits. That's what I'm waiting for.. ;)

I thought we could still bow hunt during the holiday hunt, or is that doe only for bowhunters too?
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:45 am

JohnnieU wrote:
dan wrote:

I thought we could still bow hunt during the holiday hunt, or is that doe only for bowhunters too?

You should be able to bow hunt ( and shoot a buck) during the holiday hunt this year. Previous years, bow season closed during the holiday and t-zone hunts. This year bow season stays open all year until the 4th of January.

The holiday hunt runs from dec. 24 through jan. 1. Bow closes jan. 4 so regardless you'll get a few more days of bow only after the holiday hunt.

Edit: Would be a good question to ask DNR MARK

HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:48 am

The deer in my area are feeding within 100 to 150 yards of their bedding area. The woods are bare and it is tough trying to sneak in close to the bedding area. My plan is to set up on staging areas near field edges. The deer will move out right at sunset but they stage on the edges about an hour earlier. I am also climbing higher up the tree because of the lack of cover.
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:54 am

In NJ muzzleloader and slug gun until Feb 15, winter bow until Feb 21. I am not in a time crunch. But come Jan timeframe, scouting, observation sits and doe (unless a fully antlered buck appears).

After today (6 day firearm), I plan on trying to hunt from a step ladder at least once (I wanna be like Dan) in thick brush with no hangable / climb able trees.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:40 am

CRK925 wrote:
JohnnieU wrote:
dan wrote:

You should be able to bow hunt ( and shoot a buck) during the holiday hunt this year. Previous years, bow season closed during the holiday and t-zone hunts. This year bow season stays open all year until the 4th of January.

The holiday hunt runs from dec. 24 through jan. 1. Bow closes jan. 4 so regardless you'll get a few more days of bow only after the holiday hunt.

In the Southern Farmland zone you can bowhunt during Dec 24-Jan 1 holiday gun hunt, HOWEVER you can only shoot antlerless deer, regardless of weapon.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 am

It's cold where I live , and snow is on the ground. I've been in vast state forests looking for big tracks in Mass. So far the deer are kicking my but. I do have a big track located so I may go back there. But from here on out, it's snow tracking.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 am

utica19 wrote:
CRK925 wrote:
JohnnieU wrote:
dan wrote:

In the Southern Farmland zone you can bowhunt during Dec 24-Jan 1 holiday gun hunt, HOWEVER you can only shoot antlerless deer, regardless of weapon.

That is correct. No buck hunting allowed Dec 24-Jan 1

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:19 am

Been hunting metro area hard past 2weeks sitting almost every evening.took tonight off cause tired.biggest buck I had since putting camera out for month 2.5 year old 9 pt.and a group of does.so trying to fill tags for meat since I won't be getting back up to my property.haven't had venison for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”