Pod Cast of Lane Benoit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Re: Pod Cast of Lane Benoit

Unread postby Terry » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 am

Going to listen to this soon. I am a big fan of the Benoits myself. I have met them a couple times myself and attended their seminars. They definitely know their stuff.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:50 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:He's hunting a NC swamp right now... said it's near farming... I know how you guys would do it without prior scouting... scout marsh edges, find a big track and fresh sign coming from suspected bedding... hunt it right then. Guess I don't know anything about the NC rut and how that would change travel and bedding/feeding in the marsh. Maybe it would be better to hunt funnels. Anyway... found this relevant to the thread...

'Ole Lane is going to be surprised when he realizes he can carry one NC buck under each arm!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:06 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:The word cocky is sometimes related to confidence and can be misrepresented by others...

I remember a few years back when a few beast moguls also said they would love to have a throw down.
Cocky too? Or confident, or just like a challenge w/ no malice intended...

Yes, very similar indeed, although how you convey your confidence id the difference between being cocky and confident. In general the Benoits seem very down to earth and humble, however issuing a challenge definitely borders on the cocky side, and I was slightly turned off by it.

I remember saying something cocky about the work I do. I was actually speaking in front of a college class of 50 or so students. I said something like "catch me if you can." I almost choked on the last word, realizing how much of an a-hole I sounded like. The words left a really bad taste in my mouth. I regret it to this day and still think about it quite often. I wish I could find everyone that was in that room and apologize. Probably no one else remembers that one line, but I'm still really embarrassed by it. I wasn't brought up that way. I was always taught that if I was good at something that there was no need to rub it in anyone's face.. If you are congratulated, be sure to say thanks.

I guess if someone wanted to challenge me in something and I was confident I was better, I would let my performance do the talking rather than my mouth. I never was much of a trash talker playing hockey when growing up. It always seemed like scoring a quick goal or making a big hit shut up the opponent faster than anything.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 pm

I think if you met them you wouldn't think they're cocky. And if he is cocky then I guess he can be, cause he backs it every year with bucks.

http://www.lanebenoit.com/season-photos
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:16 pm

I enjoyed the podcast alot. My favorite part is when he is talking about all the pressure or hunters in vermont. And if he jumps a buck out of its bed before he gets a Crack it will likely get shot by another hunter. So he really needs to shoot it in its bed.. hmm... sound familar. So high pressure=beds getting bucks by their bed.

His so called challenge was dumb it's easy to challenge someone to suituation that favors your specialty. I realize he is a way better hunter than almost all of the people in the hunting video industry but come on. Their are plenty of down right big buck killers in the Midwest that set their sights on one specific buck and get it done. It really doesn't matter if their are 15 other big ones in the area they chase one buck and get it done with a bow too. So if you put them in a suituation where their really is one big buck I think they will do just fine.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 am

Spysar wrote:I think if you met them you wouldn't think they're cocky. And if he is cocky then I guess he can be, cause he backs it every year with bucks.

http://www.lanebenoit.com/season-photos

I didn't say I thought Lane was cocky in general, but his challenge was, and it was a rare weak moment for him. I like Lane and the rest of the Benoits, I really do.

As far as being able to back cockiness with results in general: cockiness is just a personality trait I don't care for. If Labron James is as dominant a basketball player as he thinks he is, he doesn't need to remind us of it all the time. ( I am not insinuating this is what Lane did.) Gretzky never spent any time taunting his opponents- he just beat them on the score board.

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:53 am

Empty cans rattle the most

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

Great listen, thanks Ed.

Honestly its a little sad to me that this type of no-nonsense hunting seems to be so rare. Everything anymore is bells and whistles, trail cameras and food plots. I feel like Lane's challenge was a jab at the modern pixie dust hunting culture. I can relate to that. :lol:
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:09 pm

I enjoyed the podcast, after listening to these I always wish the people asking the questions were more knowledgeable, it would make for a lot more informative information. Feel like you're just scratching the surface of his knowledge.

I have a good friend who grew up in the U.P. tracking whitetails, that's what he knows as hunting, he held the Benoit's at almost living legend status. A few years ago he ran into a few of the Benoit's hunting in Ontario. Lets just say the living legend status no longer exists. Unfortunately when consistent success is expected it pushes some to the limits of ethics and legality. They're great at what they do, and I feel they'd be successful anywhere on any type of game, just wish they didn't succumb to the pressure of being celebrities.
Last edited by purebowhunting on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Good Grief, if you turned the Benoit's loose on a big midwest cattail marsh in gun season, would big bucks die?

Will the sun rise tomorrow?

Are death and taxes likely?

In my view, the Benoits are deer hunting machines...
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:39 pm

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”