Care to guess?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Care to guess?

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:46 am

130s... NO WAY :lol:

You can't have spaced G5s on 20" beams

I will agree to disagree....

beam curl = length
All your mass measurements are stacked towards thicker part of rack when you have a buck with G4s. G4s score

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:47 am

All the talk of " " makes me question the " " of this deer. Never "officially" had him measured. Whats all of your expert guesses?

and i have no clue on the 12 pt i have on camera, all this talk makes me think I'm way off on everything now :lol: ill try and drum up some other pictures, but thats the best video i have.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 am

Stanley wrote:I think he will push 150. I don't see 160. He would look different if he was front forward though.

Man I don't see the beams or the mass or the brows for that Stanley?? Tough angle to judge off a picture though. Get him on the ground and put a tape to him!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 am

Stan I was starting to feel crazy... glad Dan and Stan are guessing at least close to 150! :lol:

here is a break down on % score based measurements.... now add in G5s.... if this deer was longed tined it would be a gagger. Beams and length typically make up 65-70% of score

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... =bgRecords

Last edited by Bucky on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:54 am

PLB wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think he will push 150. I don't see 160. He would look different if he was front forward though.

Man I don't see the beams or the mass or the brows for that Stanley?? Tough angle to judge off a picture though. Get him on the ground and put a tape to him!!

There you go Brett , you HAVE to shoot him now! :)

I just don't think he has near enough tine length.

Although I'd be very happy for Brett to kill him and for me to be wrong !

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Brett wrote:All the talk of " " makes me question the " " of this deer. Never "officially" had him measured. Whats all of your expert guesses?

and i have no clue on the 12 pt i have on camera, all this talk makes me think I'm way off on everything now :lol: ill try and drum up some other pictures, but thats the best video i have.

I'm not scared to jump in and say 150

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I agree with rutn... 150ish

My buddy who has scored WAY more deer than I have says the 6x5 in trailcam pics goes 140ish.... he says looks like 3 yr old. Now I'm starting to eat crow.... :lol:

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:55 pm

I am not an expert. I really struggle field judging because it seems like I never get a long enough look.
I realize that pictures can be very deceiving but usually to everybody the same way.
This exercise really seems to have us all over the map on guesses. When I first took a gander at Brett"s pics I would have said pushing 140".
Then Bucky chimed in with 160" and I thought WTF is he seeing that I am not?
I agree wholeheartedly that 4's score and 5's should generally add some mass, just because it stacks it all together more. But really didn't see anything close to 160".

Then RnB shares a pic. He says it's only 130" deer.
Huh?
I think I see more. I have a bunch of 130" deer and it looks a little better.
Then he says it has 33" mass.
What?
Didn't see that one coming! (once he explained the width and length, I was comforted some on total score).

So then Bucky backs off a little but Stan jumps in his corner. I know Stan has a lot of experience with scoring and has probably seen more deer with known "actual" scores than most.
OK! Confused again.

I haven't scored 500 deer. Probably over 100 though so I have had plenty of racks and sheets in my hands.(A lot different than a computer screen rendition of a night time photo)!

I think the take away is..... pictures SUCK when it comes to trying to field judge.

My comments are not to call BS on anything stated, just relaying my own surprise at how much we all differ on what is being seen.
Always fun to try to judge. I hope we can get an actual score soon.
No pressure Brett!
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm going with 145" give or take. I have a six point shed with only a 20.5" main beam. He would have been quite similar to that one.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:22 pm

No matter how I look at that buck the best I can come up with is 148". Guessing 3 year old.

No way to settle this unless you kill him. ;)

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm

After further review I'm in the 145-150" camp. If anyone wants my balls they can have em! :lol:

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Hey Brett is that a southern IL deer or a northern IL deer? I think there could be quite a difference in body size depending on the answer.

Surprised no one thought of that before putting their nuts on the line :lol: IL is a real long state, lots of variation.

It seems like a smaller bodied deer for some reason to me which would mean there might be some ground shrinkage...but that is very difficult to judge from trail cam photos. I am confident it is somewhere around 140...MAYBE as high as 150 if I am wrong about a small body.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm heavy on the mass at 36 for sure...

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Bucky wrote:I agree with rutn... 150ish

My buddy who has scored WAY more deer than I have says the 6x5 in trailcam pics goes 140ish.... he says looks like 3 yr old. Now I'm starting to eat crow.... :lol:

Pictures are deceiving but it does look young...no need to eat crow, I dropped some bucks that didn't score like I thought in the short moment before taking the shot. But I feel pretty confident these days...live and learn.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 pm

My OCD tendencies have me scoring bucks in the house now!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”