Hill terrain beds vs swamp beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill terrain beds vs swamp beds?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:00 am

The buck beds in swamps I know of are thick, and can't be seen until very close making still hunting not a great option I would think. What about hilly terrain beds on points? Can those bucks be seen from a distance or are they just as thick? I'm going to still hunt some public all day tomo for the first time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill terrain beds vs swamp beds?

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:12 am

Its very hard to sneak up on bedded bucks in hill country.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:21 am

dan wrote:Its very hard to sneak up on bedded bucks in hill country.

Does that mean its easier to sneak up on them in the swamp? Its not big time hill country like you guys talk about, just some hills in NLP MI. Much more hills than farmland I live in. Ill be scouting really, but with stand on my back.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:31 am

Not sure about swamp/marsh type beds but hill country beds I find seem to be more for observation, and with great escape routes. I maybe wrong, but I think that is part of the reason they prefer bedding on spurs.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 am

I do my best early season and late season hunting in marshes and swamps cause I can get real close to the bedded bucks... I do better in the hills during the rut... Each terrain has advantages. In hill country, especially in mature timber, its really tough to get closer than a couple hundred yards do to sight and smell.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 am

Yeah that makes sense. Im going to be up there hunting all day tomorrow. I was hoping I could hunt all day still hunting while scouting things out. Maybe Im better off scouting faster and getting a good spot for the evening. They dont have any snow now so tracking is out...
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:53 am

I tend to have more encounters( in high pressure southern lp Michigan public ) when still hunting by finding fresh sign leading to swamps, then setting up on likely exits. It varys from spot to spot due to pressure but overall if you can find fresh sign leading to cover you will have a better chance of catching them leaving cover in the pm going to food. Where i'm at in souther mi the deer travel a lot so finding really fresh sign is essential. This time of year big tracks and fresh poop are more important to me than any other type of sign. In northern mi i've had decent success finding fresh sign on ridges and hunting those travel routes from ridge beds to food. For some reason i've seen more activity on ridges in nlp this time of year.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:02 pm

dan wrote:I do my best early season and late season hunting in marshes and swamps cause I can get real close to the bedded bucks... I do better in the hills during the rut... Each terrain has advantages. In hill country, especially in mature timber, its really tough to get closer than a couple hundred yards do to sight and smell.

This^^^
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Got to have your stuff together to hunt a mature buck in his bed in hill country. Almost bulletproof
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

dan wrote:I do my best early season and late season hunting in marshes and swamps cause I can get real close to the bedded bucks... I do better in the hills during the rut... Each terrain has advantages. In hill country, especially in mature timber, its really tough to get closer than a couple hundred yards do to sight and smell.

Man, you guys are making me wanna quit hunting the hills lol. All this time I've been trying to bed hunt them. If they are hard for you guys I don't stand a chance hunting beds in the hills

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:23 am

checkerfred wrote:

Man, you guys are making me wanna quit hunting the hills lol. All this time I've been trying to bed hunt them. If they are hard for you guys I don't stand a chance hunting beds in the hills

I almost moved to WI, due to this!
The warden and 8 year old fought the law and the law DIDN'T Win... :mrgreen:

NH @ it's best for a long while - it could always be worth, after all it is the "Live Free or Die" state...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”