The road

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you avoid the road

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35
Master Chief

The road

Unread postby Master Chief » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 am

Just wanting to see a random poll of what people on here do (public land only)

Do you make sure to get away from the main road/fire trails/parking lot/etc and always try to get as far away from the easy to access places? I've seen a lot of people say there success increases just by avoiding roads. Curious to see what the "beasts" think lol

**Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum.. thought I put it in the public land one

Master Chief

Re: The road

Unread postby Master Chief » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:24 am

I have a motive for asking too. Just curious how my observations line up to others
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 pm

I hunt where the signs (rubs, scrapes, beds etc.) tell me too, regardless of how close I am to the road. Last year I hunted 30 yards from the center of a highway. Saw the buck I was after, just never gave me a shot. I was sitting in a 2-3 acre CRP area that had fresh big buck tracks. I sat there 2 times, it was funny when once in a while a person in a vehicle would see me, they would have to look twice. Looking back, I think the buck would catch my wind due to the evening thermals dropping to where he was coming from.
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I votes no but it depends on the location the buck I killed on the 3rd was 130 yds from major road with a lot of use

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Voted no, but I have never killed anything close to a road or heavily used trail either

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Voted yes. Roadside hot spots are the rare exception, not the norm. Every year I keep hoping I'll find more spots close to the truck, but every year I find myself walking further or through more rugged terrain.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Yes. The public I hunt is a dog training and pheasant hunting area along the road and parking lot. There is a ton of land away from the lot that I pretty much have to myself during the early season. Other spots I hunt usually aren't close to a road. During gun season you can count the hunters in orange as you drive by. Looks like a Gander Mountain exploded there.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:01 pm

I try to avoid people in general. if that means hunting a spot that looks less than ideal, I'll choose that area first. It doesn't matter how close or how far a road is per say. If it's overlooked it's overlooked.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm

I said no because sometimes its more about obstacles than distance from the road. Like waist high water close to the road, you cross it and then boom you are in a good location, but would also agree it is an exception more than a norm. Long distance from access seems to be a safer bet of a good spot if it has all the other necessary ingredients.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:15 pm

[quote="TJS"]I hunt where the signs (rubs, scrapes, beds etc.) tell me too, regardless of how close I am to the road. [quote]

My answer as well, there needs to be a reason I am hunting a location close to the road or not.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 pm

I voted no. One of my best public land spots is within 100 yards of the road. Most of the time I'm not near a road but I don't completely avoid them. I'll scout any place that looks like it may have the right ingredients to hold a good buck regardless if it's near the road or not.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:31 pm

No...Dan really opened my eyes to these overlooked road spots. Stay out of the normal in the box type thinking.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 pm

We shoot more and bigger bucks close to the road than remote. It really doesn't matter where the road is, it matters where people go... This year was no exception as the biggest buck we got was bedding 50 yards from a major parking and access to the public property.
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:48 pm

I have found several spots near roads that have buck beds in the on public land.My question is,do the bucks let the guys pass right by usually?One bed is about 80-100 yards from the main trail heading back and the other one is on the other side and only about 50 yards from the main trail.I know from past years looking at people tracks in the snow nobody hunts there because its so close to the road
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:33 am

My best spots are close to the road, within 100-150 yards. Pull off to the side out of the way and walk in.
Round here you can park on the side of the road. Parking lots are places that I avoid unless I launch the canoe. Those folks want to talk too much.

See Anything?....... :P

No, I am blind...... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”