I Think There Is Some Good Info Here, Some May Disagree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

I Think There Is Some Good Info Here, Some May Disagree

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:22 am

I was reading on AT and found this link. It's about judging age by antler characteristics. I think it fairly accurate. What do you think? :think:

http://kuneytown.blogspot.com/2010/12/a ... using.html

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ozzz

Re: I Think There Is Some Good Info Here, Some May Disagree

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 am

Tough to do for a relative beginner like myself while he is coming into bow range but seems legit.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 am

I have shot and others too short beamed mature deer. I think mass is a better indicator than beam length. I think beam length is a regional phenomenon. In Western WI it is not uncommon to see mature bucks with 25-27" main beams... in central WI it seems beam length tops out at 22-25"s. Some racks have tight curls, some have long straight beams... VERY few 2 and 3yr old deer have 5" mass measurements though at H1 or H2

3yr old?

This is an example of a tight beam curl buck
Last edited by Bucky on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:32 am

This method has nothing to do with beam length.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:32 am

Bucky wrote:I have shot and others too short beamed mature deer. I think mass is a better indicator than beam length. I think beam length is a regional phenomenon. In Western WI it is not uncommon to see mature bucks with 25-27" main beams... in central WI it seems beam length tops out at 22-25"s. Some racks have tight curls, some have long straight beams... VERY few 2 and 3yr old deer have 5" mass measurements though at H1 or H2

My thoughts exactly. Interesting article though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:37 am

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:37 am

Bucky wrote:I have shot and others too short beamed mature deer. I think mass is a better indicator than beam length. I think beam length is a regional phenomenon. In Western WI it is not uncommon to see mature bucks with 25-27" main beams... in central WI it seems beam length tops out at 22-25"s. Some racks have tight curls, some have long straight beams... VERY few 2 and 3yr old deer have 5" mass measurements though at H1 or H2

3yr old?

That one sure doesn't fit this method, but an obvious shooter where you don't need any method, just shoot!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 am

Spysar wrote:

3yr old?

That one sure doesn't fit this method, but an obvious shooter where you don't need any method, just shoot!

I did... like 4 times! :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:58 am

Interesting article, I second what ozzz said with beginners like me. I do pay attention to where the main beams turn forward as well as tine length.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:04 am

Lets see if the information has some validity. I know the ages of these bucks through history and drops etc. # 2 and #5 were killed by hunters. I'm sure a few other have been killed also just haven't heard yet. Based on the information what ages do put on these bucks? #6 may not be a good enough profile but I put it in there anyway. Best guess, what say ye.

Note: I was after #4 and came so close to killing him but didn't. I ate my tag trying though.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 am

I'll guess. Based mostly on this method.

1- 4.5
2- 3.5
3- 3.5
4- 4.5
5- 2.5
6- 2.5
7- 3.5

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 am

Ill Play. using my interprtation, of Spy's article. Which I think has some merit.
1. 4.5
2. 3.5
3. 3.5
4. 3.5
5. 2.5
6. 2.5 *This one is really tough do to the postion of the head. could be 3.5.
7. 3.5
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 am

I'll let others guess before posting the answers. If you can't wait PM me for the answers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 am

Overall I think its a decent way to age, no matter what method you use or how good you are there will always be some deer that break the mold or don't fit our idea of how old they should me. No method or person will ever score 100% of these kinds of aging tests.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:39 am

4+
4+
Last edited by JakeJD on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”