Hunting pressured private land deer.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hunting pressured private land deer.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 am

Im clearly hunting a much more pressured group of deer than I was 4-6 weeks ago on private land. The doe groups seem content skirting some hunted areas, and wide circle out in the swamp/cattails to avoid the open ridges. Im sitting on the edge now, and they feel safe even though I could easily shoot from my stand. They are traveling through and next to the old buck bed islands Ive seen in past winters. Does that mean there is no buck in them now? I would have expected the doe groups to stay away from bucks and beds this time of year still. I dont shoot any doe until the last 2 days of season. My good bucks have completely disapeared from my cams, even at night. There is a large thick area, that NOBODY goes in, but is unhuntable due to access and too many does bedded around it. It always contains bucks, but usually get pics at night on my plots or feeding funnels. Not this year, and no good cold fronts in the forecast.
Man i need to go hunt some big woods, this is getting boring... I was going to beast style setup the buck beds mentioned above, but Im guessing they arent being used based on doe walking in and close.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting pressured private land deer.

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:10 am

This time of year the does might not be avoiding the bucks... Maybe, maybe not.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:12 am

This time of year (post rut) if the food source is at the neighbors so are the bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:29 am

The major food source is my land with a 3-4 acre brassica plot, and some dumped corn for photo ops. Im getting no bucks, even at night. This happens and then they show randomly. They may be just holed up for now, so Im off on the surroundings watching smaller doe groups funnel to other food sources nearby (baitpiles). Im just cutting off their deer when they get up out of bed and walk past. I dont know if the big bucks are nearby and not moving due to surrounding pressure, or if they are literally gone for now.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 am

dan wrote:This time of year the does might not be avoiding the bucks... Maybe, maybe not.

On the last day of muzzy Im going to still hunt all these beds. I dont mind if they get away but Im not going to get them bumped unitl the last day so they can hopefully live til next year. Unless of course I shoot one :D
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:32 am

Stanley wrote:This time of year (post rut) if the food source is at the neighbors so are the bucks.

I agree stanley, but there is lots of lonely does at my house then (10-20 per night) on my plot. I need snow to find some bucks moving or at least tracks to know where theyve gone.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:49 am

johndeere506 wrote:
Stanley wrote:This time of year (post rut) if the food source is at the neighbors so are the bucks.

I agree stanley, but there is lots of lonely does at my house then (10-20 per night) on my plot. I need snow to find some bucks moving or at least tracks to know where theyve gone.

Another thing to keep in mind there are way less bucks this time of year after gun season. The bucks that do survive the gun massacre are really on edge and are super nocturnal.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:30 am

Stanley wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind there are way less bucks this time of year after gun season. The bucks that do survive the gun massacre are really on edge and are super nocturnal.

Yes good point for sure. Im stubborn and hopeful that the 2 Ive been watching have survived. Ive seen it happen. They lived through 1 1/2 of a 2 week gun season, and were nocturnal at the time. I hope they just holed up and Ill see them in December like I have in the past. Only time will tell...

Other times, Ive seen good ones survive to January, only to never be seen again the next year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”