Buck Beds - how much time to hunt that bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beauford

Buck Beds - how much time to hunt that bed?

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am

Image Buck bed on right side of picture under the skinny tree. Its a hour drive and then hour walk to this spot. For the most part the next couple of years I dont have the time to even hunt the bed. The spot is used year after year hard to get close. The set up is perfect for the bucks using it. Wondering how long from leaving the house it takes you to hunt the bed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Swampbuck

Re: Buck Beds - how much time to hunt that bed?

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:54 am

I drive 30 minutes but it then takes me 2 hours to get to any of my hunting spots. If I'm approaching a bed add to that for the creep of the last 100 yds.

Typically I leave between 11-12 to be in tree before 3. Or 230-3am for a morning hunt

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Swampbuck on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make It Happen
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 am

Most my drives are under 30 minutes. With this bed I have 4 hours invested going / leaving without being in the tree. Beast members are not the norm so maybe this is normal. I feel better when I spend more time walking into stand then driving to the spot.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am

It is all part of the journey! I drive 5 hours to hunt a Saturday and Sunday AM. Most of my other spots are 1-2 hours away. That is what sucks about living in a Chicago suburb! Well, just about everything sucks about living in a Chicago suburb... :)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am

Some are right out the back door, and some are in other states... Furthest I traveled to scout then return to a bedding set up was from S.E. Wisconsin to S.W. Iowa. Thats gotta be at least 7 hours.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:33 pm

I definitely like burning the calories more than the gas. I tend to start burning more gas after I burn out all my hot sign spots that are close to home.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:11 am

The hunting around here sucks (see Swampbucks gator den thread)!!!!!! I have a 2hr 20min drive to the hill country I hunt & then the walk in can range from 30-45mins. I most definitely spend more time on the road than in the woods it probably averages 5-6hrs of travel for every hunt or scouting mission.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:16 am

On average I it takes me 2-5 hours to get to a bed but so much depends on the conditions, in my furthest spot wet and windy and I am there in 3, quiet and crunchy its easily get to 5 hours with a good chunk of that time the last 100 yards to setup.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 am

No one said it would be easy, and I think the time invested in one hunt proves that. I drive 4.5 hrs to one spot I hunt and then another 2 hrs to get set up in a stand site. I drove 4 hrs this year and killed a buck. I drove 4.5 hrs last year to kill a buck. I do have some 5 minutes road trips also. You just have to do, what you have to do, and then do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Stanley wrote:No one said it would be easy, and I think the time invested in one hunt proves that. I drive 4.5 hrs to one spot I hunt and then another 2 hrs to get set up in a stand site. I drove 4 hrs this year and killed a buck. I drove 4.5 hrs last year to kill a buck. I do have some 5 minutes road trips also. You just have to do, what you have to do, and then do it.

Stanley, I consider you to be very knowledgeable, so that must be a dynamite spot for you to drive that far away.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 pm

I wish I had a sure fire buck bed to hunt only an hour away. Wish I had a decent area to hunt within an hour period.

I drive 7 hours to hunt public land I have never stepped foot on, 7 hours and I am still in Florida.

:violin:

In Aug I drove the 7 hours to scout for one day for a draw hunt I will be doing in Jan. More driving hours than scouting hours but it payed off, very confident in the areas i found.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”