Mature buck approaching bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

n.sampey

Mature buck approaching bed

Unread postby n.sampey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Just curious if a mature buck will always leave and come back to his bed with the wind in his face???

IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
MACHINIST

Re: Mature buck approaching bed

Unread postby MACHINIST » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:34 pm

In for the answer!!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 pm

They often J hook or circle the bed on the downwind side in the mornings scent checking it before entering. Evenings they could leave wind to their face or to their back. All depends on where they are going that evening to feed or check does. The wind in the evenings often doesn't dictate which direction they leave.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:55 pm

So when hunting a bed how do you decide which trail to watch on a given evening?
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:29 pm

About how many yards out do they stay from the bed when j hooking

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Leaving thier bed my guess is it could be either. I've seen them go into wind and wind to back. This is limited experience but still

Make It Happen
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:06 pm

I watched a small buck do a j hook; he only went about 30 yards.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:28 pm

No, a buck doesn't always have the wind in his face.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:47 pm

n.sampey wrote:Just curious if a mature buck will always leave and come back to his bed with the wind in his face???

There are a couple words I try not to use when referring to whitetails. Never & Always top that list... There are "always" exceptions.

With that said, I had a discussion with Andrae last year about this very subject, we both agree that they leave there bed regardless of wind direction in the evening. But I said I had seen some bucks enter there bed wind to back... He has had a lot more success than me in morning hunting, and actually prefers mornings and says if your patient and understand how they bed and when they arrive in morning after daylight, it is a great hunt.
He says they ALWAYS come to bed with wind to face and that he has watched hundreds of bucks arrive at beds, and they ALWAYS have wind to face... He said my observations were not of the deer actually bedding, and that they often approach with wind to back but then J-hook out of my sight picture... And looking back, I never saw the deer I saw go into beds with wind to back... I just saw them enter the area of the bed. all the ones I saw lay down came in wind to nose.

I have noticed while tracking deer that the big old bucks often come in and cruise past a bed on a cross wind that blows to there intended bed, and then sweep a large j hook to the bed so they can smell anything that follows there track, and still have there ground scent in line with there airborne scent.

I have actually been mimicking whitetails in some of my set ups, especially the ones where the buck could come from several directions. I like to go to the stand with wind to face so that my ground scent is in-line with my airborne scent giving only one line of exposure to get busted.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:48 am

I think it is easier to understand if you look at it like this. The bed is the starting point for buck movement in the evening. The bed is the ending point for buck movement in the morning. Everywhere the buck travels between the starting point and the ending point is a big area compared to the buck bed. So the buck can return to the bed from may directions and does. The wind is not the sole determining factor in what direction the buck returns to its bed. Food source, water source, obstacles, predator encounters, things like this all determine how the buck returns to the bedding area.

I think evening bed hunting is more productive because you know the starting point. If you also know the ending point you can set up and have a good idea of the buck travel route. In my opinion morning hunting is not as calculated because the area the buck is coming from is much bigger than like his bed in the evening.

I think we may have some different interpretations on bucks going to bed down. If a buck is on a food source in the morning and heads to its bed with the wind to it's back (I have seen them head to bedding areas with any and all winds). The buck would need to do a J hook to make sure the bedding area is safe. If a buck heads to the bedding area with the wind in its nose. He would not need to do a J hook to know if the bedding area is safe. So in a sense both you and Andrae are correct. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 am

Dan and Stanley,

Excellent info, thx!

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:56 am

Well said Stanley

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:18 am

So if a buck enters below the bed by j hooking, why couldn't you set up below the bed by entering either direct from above or below the bed, and wait for him to return. I know they can enter really early in the early/late season, but what about during rut? I'm also talking about gun hunting where you have more shot opportunities at further distances

Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 am

Will the type of terrain change any of this? I know a bed the deer would come from the south or west. If he would have the wind in his favor walking into the bed before his J hook he would be swimming to his bed all the time? Or would he use the wind and then walk 200 -300 yards to this bed without it in his favor?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:38 am

checkerfred wrote:So if a buck enters below the bed by j hooking, why couldn't you set up below the bed by entering either direct from above or below the bed, and wait for him to return. I know they can enter really early in the early/late season, but what about during rut? I'm also talking about gun hunting where you have more shot opportunities at further distances

The trick is not crossing the J-hook path on your entry (they are ultra sensitive around there beds of human presence), Knowing the direction they will come from before the hook, and knowing how deep the hook will be... In a lot of cases it differs day to day, and buck to buck...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”