Quality vs convenience

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Quality vs convenience

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:43 am

Question for you guys there. I have started to think of the spots I hunt as either convenient or quality. I suppose they are not mutually exclusive but in my case right now they are. And after looking back at my season so far, a lot of my hunts have been in the convenient category due to time constraints. My question is what % of sits do you guys spend hunting convenient spots vs quality and were you successful from either spot.

for example 80% of my hunts were what I would consider convenience hunts.

I define a spot as convenient if it's within a half hour of your home. A spot that is easy to sneak out to with limited time. I would say quality are you top 25% stands you have confidence in.

Main reason I ask was that I was not successful so far in either scenario but am trying to think of the best way to allocate my hunting time. I am starting to think I might be better off focusing more of my hunts on the quality spots at the expense of fewer sits in the woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Quality vs convenience

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 am

One of my convenience spots is right behind my house, so access without burning a trail is perfect. It's the backside of a doe bedding thicket. I've killed one mature buck there and several others. I know it gets cruising action. The only downside is that once the sun starts heating things up, the thermals will kill me unless there's a good steady wind. Now it may not be the best spot ever, but access is perfect so I can hunt it more. I have a good bit of other land within a mile around too. Problem is, I feel like it's mostly rut hunting land except one spot. Otherwise the bucks I believe are bedding on other people's land.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 am

I have a stand and a ground hide within 80 yards of my door, they are both convenient and good spots.

Best of both worlds.

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:58 am

100% quality... if there is in my mind not a mature buck on the property or in the vicinity I'd rather look for a spot with a quality animal then hunt a convience spot
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:05 am

I have one spot that I would consider convenient and quality, close to home, short walk, waders to cross a small creek. Everything else takes some work to get to. I do have one stand in my back yard for convenient hunts or hunts with the kids.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:07 am

My hunts are mostly convenience type. And I find it harder to get to my quality spots. Maybe that will be what should be different next season. I think I only bed hunted 2-3 times.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:11 am

My problem is not the work getting back to a place, but finding the beds. If I knew a place for sure had a big buck bedding on it, I could walk 2 miles to hunt it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:23 am

A lot depends on your physical being. If you don't have the grunt to get to the best spot then convenience is the only option. A lot of guys can't relate to this, as they don't have enough sand through the glass yet. Trust me, there will come a day when you can't haul a load of stuff 2 miles into the bush/swamp. When that day comes, you must adjust, and go from there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:24 am

Stanley wrote:A lot depends on your physical being. If you don't have the grunt to get to the best spot then convenience is the only option. A lot of guys can't relate to this, as they don't have enough sand through the glass yet. Trust me, there will come a day when you can't haul a load of stuff 2 miles into the bush/swamp. When that day comes, you must adjust, and go from there.

I concur.
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:33 am

Don't discount overlooked spots in your quality vs. convenience analysis. Often times overlooked spots are extremely convenient and sometimes very high quality.

I had very little time to hunt this year so the majority of my hunts were of the convenient sort in overlooked spots I just burned them out too quick. I have tons of beds mapped from scouting but just haven't had the time to make the treks to them this year. As a result I've had barely any encounters with mature bucks.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am

I use to be 100% quality. The rules changed when I moved farther from what I consider quality. I have a large quantity of mediocre convenient close to home. I have a few quality hunts left this season for good mature bucks, but those are reserved for the weekends, holiday hunt permitting. Everything else is mediocre convenient until the season is over.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:08 am

Nothing like having good hunting close to home....

:lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:22 am

Zap wrote:Nothing like having good hunting close to home....

:lol:

Shooting Christmas dinner nice and quiet out the back door.....I like.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 am

That's the bunch that murdered Barry.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:28 am

Shoot!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”